Interesting cat facts
1. Sir Isaac Newton invented the cat flap.
2. An ailurophile is a person who loves cats. The word ailuro is the ancient Greek word for cat.
3. More cats are left handed than right handed. Out of every 100 cats, approximately 40 are left-pawed, 20 are right-pawed, and 40 are ambidextrous.
4. The ridged pattern on a cat's nose pad is as individual as a human fingerprint.
5. At their fastest, cats can run at 30mph.
6. A group of kittens is called a kindle.
7. A group of cats is called a clowder.
8. The cat is the only domesticated animal NOT mentioned in the bible.
9. Male cats used to be called rams or boars, however, in 1760, an anonymous author wrote a book entitled "The Life and Adventures of a Cat" in which the central character was a male called Tom the Cat. This book was hugely popular and the name tom cat quickly replaced ram or boar.
10. Cats have existed longer than humans.
11. Cat urine glows under black light.
12. Clay cat litter came about by accident. In 1948 a neighbour by the name of Kay Draper went into her local sawmill to pick up some sawdust for her cat's litter tray. She had been using ash but was fed up with it being tracked all over her house. Ed Lowe, the son of the owner offered her some clay, known as Fullers Earth which was used to absorb grease. Ed realised he was onto something and started marketing the product in pet shops and at cat shows. It took a while to take off, but eventually, it became a multi-million dollar business.
General cat facts
13. Cats are digitigrade, meaning they walk on their toes.
14. Cats can jump 5 times their height.
15. The domestic cat is the only species of cat that can hold it's tail vertically while walking.
16. Cats have the largest eyes in proportion to their body size of all mammals.
17. Cats usually have 12 whiskers on each side of its nose.
18. Cats don't kill their prey with their claws, the claws are used to hold onto the prey, the teeth are used to kill the prey.
19. The claws on the cat's back feet aren't as sharp as the claws on the front feet because they can't retract into the toe, therefore they're continually being worn down by walking.
Cat health facts
20. A cat's pulse is between 130 - 240 beats per minute.
21. A cat's gestation is between 61 - 70 days.
22. The normal body temperature is 102 degrees F.
23. Like humans, kittens have "baby" teeth, which are replaced with their adult teeth from around 6 months of age.
24. Cats perspire through their paws.
25. Cats breathe at a rate of 20 - 30 breaths per minute.
26. A female cat is pregnant for approximately 63 days.
27. Male cats have a bone in their penis called a baculum.
Cat bones facts
28. There are approximately 244 bones in your cat's body.
29. Cats have 30 vertebrae. Humans have 25.
30. Cats have between 20-23 bones in their tail.
31. The cat's front paws have 5 toes and their back paws have 4. However, some cats have more than this number of toes. When a cat has more than 18 toes, it's called a polydactyl. Poly comes from the Greek word "polys" which means many or more than one. Dactyl also comes from a Greek word daktylos or finger.