So I thought I would take photos as I go so others can benefit from my mistakes.
The verandah is 10.35m long and 1.8 wide. Saturday I went to Bunnings and purchased wooden strips, Ramset 5mm x 35mm nylon anchors to affix them to the brick wall, and shade fix thingys you use to attach shadecloth. I came unstuck, though, when I tried to fix the netting to the bargeboard with the shadecloth fixers. The bargeboard is too hard, the prongs on the fixers just bent. So I will have to buy 4 more strips of wood and drill them into the bargeboard, then attach the netting to the strips. SIGH! Why ids it always more difficult than we expect?
The length of the verandah showing the end, where Warwick is replacing 2 bricks that had fallen out of the parapet/railing. I have yet to do the wooden strips along the top of the wall and up the front wall behind Warwick (who is in his best gardening clothes, LOL!).
Photo 2: Detail of the front corner of the verandah showing the strips. To attach them I drilled holes in the wooden strips first, using a wood bit, after carefully measuring so I would not end up going into the mortar between the bricks or being too close tot eh edge of a brick. Then I changed to a masonry bit and drilled through the wooden holes and into the brickwork. Then I hammered in a nylon anchor. It was easy but fiddly and time consuming.
Photo 3: the opposite end of the verandah to where Warwick was working , showing the netting being attached to the strip up[ the wall of the house. The shadecoth fixers are great, they have 4 sets of 2 prongs which you can position over the knots in the netting meaning (hopefully) it will not slip.
I was going to just tie the end of the long side and the corner front with cable ties, but I think it will need more support, so am going to look into getting anchors bolts that can be tightened and putting a cable down at each corner. Then I can tie the netting to the cable.
Edited by Analog6, 16 November 2009 - 05:54 AM.