Enclosing Our Verandah For The Cats

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Analog6

Analog6

The Enclosure Nut!

• Members1
  • 11,562 posts
  • Interests:Cats (of course), photography, astronomy, desktop publishing, steam trains, military history (esp WWI), reading, writing, horses, travelling to new places.

Posted 16 November 2009 - 05:50 AM

AS a result of impulse buying a lot of 16m x 2m wide cat netting on eBay I am now enclosing the front verandah.

So I thought I would take photos as I go so others can benefit from my mistakes.

The verandah is 10.35m long and 1.8 wide. Saturday I went to Bunnings and purchased wooden strips, Ramset 5mm x 35mm nylon anchors to affix them to the brick wall, and shade fix thingys you use to attach shadecloth. I came unstuck, though, when I tried to fix the netting to the bargeboard with the shadecloth fixers. The bargeboard is too hard, the prongs on the fixers just bent. So I will have to buy 4 more strips of wood and drill them into the bargeboard, then attach the netting to the strips. SIGH! Why ids it always more difficult than we expect?

Photo 1:
The length of the verandah showing the end, where Warwick is replacing 2 bricks that had fallen out of the parapet/railing. I have yet to do the wooden strips along the top of the wall and up the front wall behind Warwick (who is in his best gardening clothes, LOL!).

Photo 2: Detail of the front corner of the verandah showing the strips. To attach them I drilled holes in the wooden strips first, using a wood bit, after carefully measuring so I would not end up going into the mortar between the bricks or being too close tot eh edge of a brick. Then I changed to a masonry bit and drilled through the wooden holes and into the brickwork. Then I hammered in a nylon anchor. It was easy but fiddly and time consuming.

Photo 3: the opposite end of the verandah to where Warwick was working , showing the netting being attached to the strip up[ the wall of the house. The shadecoth fixers are great, they have 4 sets of 2 prongs which you can position over the knots in the netting meaning (hopefully) it will not slip.

I was going to just tie the end of the long side and the corner front with cable ties, but I think it will need more support, so am going to look into getting anchors bolts that can be tightened and putting a cable down at each corner. Then I can tie the netting to the cable.

Edited by Analog6, 16 November 2009 - 05:54 AM.

#2 Beama's Slave

Beama's Slave

..:Member:..

• Members2
  • 173 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 09:37 PM

can't wait to see it all done! We got very smart and bought a heap of netting at a great price but when hubby went to put it up it wasn't "square", something about the %&#*ing diamonds going the wrong way (don't say a word....just nod and look sympathetic but utterly grateful because you did try hard honey and it is HOT out there today aha aha aha). Hmmm so to anyone else who's smart and TIGHT, don't attempt to enclose your pergola with bird netting.

*sigh*

#3 Analog6

Analog6

The Enclosure Nut!

• Members1
  • 11,562 posts
  • Interests:Cats (of course), photography, astronomy, desktop publishing, steam trains, military history (esp WWI), reading, writing, horses, travelling to new places.

Posted 20 November 2009 - 05:11 AM

Operations will resume on Saturday!

#4 Beama's Slave

Beama's Slave

• Members2
  • 173 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 11:08 AM

You're a bit slack on the updates!!

I guess you're so busy "building" you've had no time to take photos

*wink wink*

Heidi

#5 aboutTaya

aboutTaya

..:Cat Mad:..

• Members2
  • 4,546 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 11:50 AM

Yes I'm keen to see how it all turns out too. smile.gif

#6 Analog6

Analog6

The Enclosure Nut!

• Members1
  • 11,562 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 04:22 PM

OK, I'm back. I did some last weekend but didn't post, sorry, time got away and I was knackered.

So we finished it this morning, I managed to fall over in the process and have 2 skinned knees, sore leg muscles, sore and scraped hands and a headache. And we are going out to a friend's for dinner!

Anyway, without further ado!

Chez verandah chats! (no doubt very bad french but you get the idea).

At the corners I decided to get some wire cable and this is the eye bolt I used to secure it to the brickwork. It is one of those expanding ones.

At the other end I took the photo with cable and tensioner/adjuster (you start with the end sticking out and screw it tight to tension the cable)

The cable (which is actually at 45 degrees - check that horizon!) with the netting wrapped round and attached by cable ties (yes, I could only get yellow ones in small!). The ends of the cable ties will be snipped off.

How it looks from the front at ground level.

Edited by Analog6, 05 December 2009 - 04:34 PM.

#7 Analog6

Analog6

The Enclosure Nut!

• Members1
  • 11,562 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 04:32 PM

Marmie kindly helping Warwick do the cable ties at the other end. As you can see we have attached black shadecloth to keep the rooms and verandah cooler (it faces due west). It is very windy with a norwester here today, so the stuff is billowing all the time.

From the ground, to the right behind the bottlebrush is the area Warwick was working on in the previous photo.

Looking from that work area to the north, with a beautiful model showing how much he likes the new arrangement.

And Monsieur Raymondo trying out the window access - I have taken one of the flyscreens off on that window, so they can come and go through it, but it is easy to shut off the access.

I have all my packaging and stuff, so if you want details of what we used, just ask and I will look at the packages and let you know.

At the top of the cable at the corners is just an ordinary eye bolt that screws in normally. The cable is attached by little U shaped things with threaded ends and a clamp and 2 nuts to tighten and hold the cable. They were very fiddly because I had to get small size.

Cost all up about $400 and 3 days work. We do plan to get some ordinary chicken wire to go inside those decorative bricks as I reckon they could wiggle out if they really tried, at the moment it is access when we are home only. Once the wire is in place they will be able to have access on hot winter nights.

Edited by Analog6, 05 December 2009 - 04:33 PM.

#8 ♥Brooke♥

♥Brooke♥

.:Senior Member:.

• Members2
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 04:52 PM

It looks really good.

#9 russianblue

russianblue

• Members1
  • 3,672 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Cats, Fitness

Posted 05 December 2009 - 06:58 PM

Great job. Looks like the cats have given it the paw of approval. smile.gif

#10 Guest_ChocolateDots_*

Guest_ChocolateDots_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2009 - 07:02 PM

Looks great well done clapping.gif

#11 harriet

harriet

• Members1
  • 4,136 posts
  • Interests:everything thats going on to do with nature

Posted 06 December 2009 - 03:36 AM

It looks great clapping.gif

#12 Analog6

Analog6

The Enclosure Nut!

• Members1
  • 11,562 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 05:08 AM

Marmie was waiting at the window this morning and demanded breakfast out there! How quickly they learn. It is lovely and cool and breezy in the morning.

#13 Analog6

Analog6

The Enclosure Nut!

• Members1
  • 11,562 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 03:49 PM

Naughty Zafira has been squeezing out of the hole in the fancy blocks, jumping down onto the roof of the van ,and sashaying off! Warwick caught her halfway up the school carpark!

She has been confined to the eastern half of the house (2 bedrooms opening to the sun verandah) and I bought some netting from Bunnings which we will attach in the morning when it is cooler. Everyone else is playing the game properly but Zafira can be a contrary little madam, she is a meezer, after all.

#14 Beama's Slave

Beama's Slave

• Members2
  • 173 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 08:55 PM

oh dear what a naughty girl - you must have freaked!

The netting looks really good, can't wait to get ours done.

#15 Analog6

Analog6

The Enclosure Nut!

• Members1
  • 11,562 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 05:33 AM

It is so rewarding to see them out there using it. Marmie is now having his meals out there, he likes it so much. And I sit out there with my book and coffee and he curls up next to me on the sofa bed.

Copyright © 2014 Cat World. All Rights Reserved.

Home     Contact Us    Privacy Policy     Disclaimer     Site Map