Enclosing Our Verandah For The Cats

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#31 Analog6

Analog6

The Enclosure Nut!

• Members1
  • 11,563 posts
  • Interests:Cats (of course), photography, astronomy, desktop publishing, steam trains, military history (esp WWI), reading, writing, horses, travelling to new places.

Posted 10 October 2010 - 07:07 PM

I thought how useful it might be to someone else trying to do some sort of balcony enclosure. The chaps at Bunnings were very helpful to me too.

Do you know cheeky Zafira will STILL have a headbut at the netting if the van is parked in the driveway!

Annie, they are lovely furfolk. If you ever are coming up this way give me a hoi and you can come and be sat on by cats.

#32 Annie99

Annie99

..:Cat Mad:..

• Members2
  • 4,757 posts
  • Interests:I love cats (and all animals), photography, graphic design and art.
    I am also interested in Animal Protection & Animal Rights and will fight for these rights till the day I die.

Posted 10 October 2010 - 10:25 PM

Annie, they are lovely furfolk. If you ever are coming up this way give me a hoi and you can come and be sat on by cats.

ha ha will do

and if you ever venture out west and feel like having your arms shredded, come and meet DALI!!

No, he is actually a good boy around others, he was so patient when I had my sis and her hubby and 2 kids. I think he loved all the new people. He is a sociable little boy, even though aggro at times.

I do love him though!

#33 Analog6

Analog6

The Enclosure Nut!

• Members1
  • 11,563 posts
  • Interests:Cats (of course), photography, astronomy, desktop publishing, steam trains, military history (esp WWI), reading, writing, horses, travelling to new places.

Posted 29 August 2011 - 11:49 AM

Just a little update of Yoda enjoying himself on the verandah - still #1 on the cats' hitlist.

Posted Image

#34 Heather Sharada

Heather Sharada

Foundation Member

• Administrator
  • 66,812 posts
  • Interests:Meditation, Spiritual Lifestyle, Vegetarianism
    Reflexology -Homoeopathy,
    Ex Breeder Sharada Birmans. Like cats to have free access cat-proof garden.

Lived England 14 years - returned 1998

Posted 29 August 2011 - 12:39 PM

What a beautiful view.....I guess the garden enclosure is almost obsolete now.....cats love to be up high don't they.

#35 Analog6

Analog6

The Enclosure Nut!

• Members1
  • 11,563 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 01:50 PM

You know, Heather, it never occurred to me but of course that must be a lot of the attraction. That area behind Yoda is the terranora Broadwater with the Gold Coast airport just to the left of the trees. But (luckily) the planes usually go out and come in over the sea so the noise it not intrusive for us.

Yoda, Raymond, and to a lesser extent Marmie and Zaffie still use the garden enclosure, I am planning a big garden assault in Spring to clean up the jungle round it and hopefully revitalise it for them.

Honey rarelt goes either on the verandah or to the downstairs, and Tinker=belle has just started going to the verandah, interestingly, she likes going out after dinner when it is getting dark! Go figure.

#36 Analog6

Analog6

The Enclosure Nut!

• Members1
  • 11,563 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 09:21 AM

Over the last couple of days I have put new shadecloth up under the netting as it faces due west. It is temporarily secured at the bottom by string, about every second brick along. And who should come along but Miss Zafira and carefully inspect EVERY SINGLE PIECE to check she couldn't get out to jump down. They don't miss much!

And a warning, I found at the south end every cable tie had deteriorated in the sun and snapped under wind pressure. This meant the whole 45deg angle corner was unsecured! So if you use plastic cable ties to secure netting check them every 6 months or so.

#37 Analog6

Analog6

The Enclosure Nut!

• Members1
  • 11,563 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 05:10 AM

Just adding a post to bring this top to the front as I can never find it!

#38 MarieG

MarieG

..:Member:..

• Members2
  • 289 posts
  • Interests:Traveling, cooking, reading fantasy fiction, settling in the new cat family

Posted 11 July 2016 - 08:55 PM

We'll be looking at closing in a verandah eventually, if we ever get some house renovations done, so this is a very helpful thread Analog...just regarding the ties, hubby has enclosed our back yard for our guys and he's changed from using cable ties to little metal c-clips. I don't know if that's useful for anyone to know.

#39 Analog6

Analog6

The Enclosure Nut!

• Members1
  • 11,563 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 03:36 PM

Yes, they are great, that's what we are using now, if you have Facebook you can see the photos of us building the new enclosures Tasmania - we moved here in 2013.  

Copyright © 2014 Cat World. All Rights Reserved.

Home     Contact Us    Privacy Policy     Disclaimer     Site Map