Lucy And Pemphigus

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 charleycat

charleycat

... : Little By Little : ...

• Members1
  • 8,156 posts
  • Interests:So little time, so much to do! Homeschooling, Coursera studies, music, reading (if I had the time), knitting blankets ;) using essential oils and homeopathy...

Posted 24 March 2010 - 06:54 PM

Inspired by stumbling across easy to set up webspace, I thought it was probably time Lucy's story was documented. Haven't put in all the details or ups and downs, but hopefully it will contribute to information available and encourage others who have to deal with "hopeless" conditions.

I've only thrown it together this afternoon, so gentle suggestions are appreciated!

Oh, and the really nasty photos are included. I shake my head looking at how far she's come - hard to believe.

Duh. Suppose I'd better put in the website address!
LUCY'S STORY

Edited by charleycat, 24 March 2010 - 06:55 PM.

#2 flipflop

flipflop

..:Cat Mad:..

• Members2
  • 4,058 posts
  • Interests:Breeding and showing Abyssinians.

Posted 24 March 2010 - 07:04 PM

Great Story - and she is a credit to you how she looks today......

#3 Guest_tamarah_*

Guest_tamarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2010 - 07:16 PM

What an amazing and inspirational story - full of heartache, courage and faith. I can't believe how well she has recovered, she looks so beautiful. Such a credit to all your hard work.

#4 Anne ( Shakandah Birmans )

Anne ( Shakandah Birmans )

Foundation Member

• Members1
  • 8,308 posts
  • Interests:My human grown family, hubby Glenn and kids Rebecca 28, Son In Law Grant 27 , Ben 26, Jono 24 and Luke 18. We also have two PRECIOUS baby granddaughters Emma 4 years and her baby sister Charli 3

Posted 24 March 2010 - 07:29 PM

Hugs Jen . You have both come a LONG way and I enjoyed Lucy's personal site very much
I personally know Lucy and she was always one of my Fav cats that was not actually mine.

Go LUCY

xoxoxo

#5 charleycat

charleycat

• Members1
  • 8,156 posts
  • Interests:So little time, so much to do! Homeschooling, Coursera studies, music, reading (if I had the time), knitting blankets ;) using essential oils and homeopathy...

Posted 24 March 2010 - 07:55 PM

I keep going back to look at those poor spotty ears! In the photo showing her little blackened nose (and swollen mouth) you can actually see the ears had begun to clear up.

#6 furball

furball

....:Cat Addict:....

• Members1
  • 5,677 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 06:40 AM

I have just tried to look at Lucy's storey but can't get past home page. I will try again later.

I am struggling to get my boy (another Lilac) diagnosed. So far the biopsies have come back inconclusive because no pustules were present. You can see these erupting on the ears on a daily basis. Our boy is 14 months old.

I do think that Lilacs & chocs are particularly prone to these auto immune problems.

#7 Furkidz

Furkidz

Crazy Cat Lady for sure!

• Members1
  • 7,031 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 06:59 AM

My lilac girl Lexi has now been desexed and is on Pred X - and looking amazing!
I am trying now to cut back her doses and wean her off the meds.
One day I hope she will be healthy and happy again - without treatment!
It's a bugger of a condition.

I will have a good look at Lucy's page later.

#8 charleycat

charleycat

• Members1
  • 8,156 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 07:30 AM

There seem to be a couple of variations on the symptoms. Lucy never had obvious "pustules" as the spots all appeared to be hard - the crusting I mention or scabbing. When the scabs dropped off, so did any fur that was growing on the spot of skin. Lucy seeps brown (leaves brown marks wherever she sits or lies) but the condition often has grey, greasy discolouring.

Lucy was 3 when this all really took off. Her choc brother (same parents, different litter) is totally clear! I'll have to mention her breed, colouring and age on her website - and her brother's details to show that it seems to be random...

#9 Jemcass

Jemcass

..:Cat Mad:..

• Members1
  • 4,016 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 08:49 AM

You've done really well with the website Jen... it looks great! Lucy's story is inspiring and I'm sure will give lots of encouragement to others. It's lovely to see her looking so well. :wub:

#10 Jess S

Jess S

.:Senior Member:.

• Members2
  • 1,051 posts
  • Interests:Cats, cars, travelling, sleeping in, and more recently, Turkish Vans!

Posted 25 March 2010 - 09:53 AM

Poor Lucy has had such a rough go, but with such a positive outcome. She's lucky to have a mum like you!

Thanks for spending the time to make the website, its a great story and definitely one worth sharing :)

#11 Guest_Winscar_*

Guest_Winscar_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 March 2010 - 10:28 AM

Jen I have only just looked at the home page to bookmark it and I am impressed. Its wonderful you have put this together to help others.

Poor sweet Lucy. It feels like we all travelled this road with her.

#12 furball

furball

....:Cat Addict:....

• Members1
  • 5,677 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 11:51 AM

I have finally been able to read Lucy's story. Thank you very much for that. I have no doubt after viewing your wonderful pics that this is what Lladro has. His ears, although not as bad, look the same, the black rims aqround the eyes and of course the feet. He also has rash around his nipples and a little bit starting on his back & tummy. He is very lethargic and the greatest amount of exercise that he does, is to jump on his chair.

My real problem is that Lladro was purchased as a stud boy and it is obvious that the extra stress of "working" would exacerbate the problem. Although not proven, I would also be very concerned about the genetic links.

Now it's back to the Vet!

#13 jaiymeka

jaiymeka

.:Advanced Member:.

• Members2
  • 500 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 11:56 AM

Thanks for sharing you story and congratulations for you huge win with this terrible problem looks like Lucy is so happy and comfortable now and loves to play

sandy

#14 charleycat

charleycat

• Members1
  • 8,156 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 12:29 PM

There's a link on the links page to the story of Stella Blue, who also had pemphigus foliaceous. The photos of her progress are a little different to Lucy's - and seemingly her vet "scraped" the lesions off (ugh!). She was treated with prednisone and her progress has been charted, but unfortunately she didn't win. Have never been able to find the link to contact her owner.

#15 Analog6

Analog6

The Enclosure Nut!

• Members1
  • 11,564 posts
  • Interests:Cats (of course), photography, astronomy, desktop publishing, steam trains, military history (esp WWI), reading, writing, horses, travelling to new places.

Posted 25 March 2010 - 03:18 PM

Looks just great, and I like the presentation. Maybe a bit more detail about what types of homeopathy remedies might be interesting to readers.

And if you can put a link at the end of each page to the next page, rather than having to go back up and click the right menu to turn over, it would speed it up. Does the site where you built it offer such a link?