13 replies to this topic

#1 Hayls

Hayls

.:Advanced Member:.

• Members2
  • 694 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 07:02 PM

Ok this is a bit strange to me -

Bob our Birman which is still in recovery from blood parasite (not sure whether he will totally recover in all honesty)

The side of the house is a verandahed concreted area which has been enclosed for the cats, then it opens up to an enclosure in the garden area as well....

When I let bob out in the morning he starts licking the concrete, if I distract him from that he goes to another area and starts licking the concrete in another area.....

I find it very bizarre and wondering what it might mean......

He has improved immensely from when he was struck down with the parasite, he had gained weight although not as much as I would have liked, and more recently he has gone off most soft foods, to be honest I'm not sure whether he is eating much dry as well, I see him at the dry but he will wonder off if he has an audience, and as we have Diesel whom is getting rather large its such a strange contrast in bodies....

I've always had happy healthy heavy cats so with Bob still not fattening up I'm at a total loss on what to do with him, and Diesel is on the verge of needing going on a diet I am finding it quite the challenge....

Any suggestions on the concrete licking????

Any suggestions on fattening the skinny mini up????

Thanks

#2 Guest_Avalon_*

Guest_Avalon_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 July 2010 - 07:08 PM

Hi Hayls
our Tiffany used to do this its a deficiency possible kidney problems well it was in our case as our vet said if your cat has a calcium deficiency tiffany suffered renal failure due to her age how old is he
cherie

Edited by Avalon, 22 July 2010 - 07:09 PM.

#3 Hayls

Hayls

• Members2
  • 694 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 07:12 PM

only 21 months old - i shall be off to the vet in the morning, he is having his check up tomorrow for the parasite

#4 Annie99

Annie99

..:Cat Mad:..

• Members2
  • 4,757 posts
  • Interests:I love cats (and all animals), photography, graphic design and art.
    I am also interested in Animal Protection & Animal Rights and will fight for these rights till the day I die.

Posted 22 July 2010 - 07:46 PM

Poor Bob

Sending :catmagic3: :catmagic3: :catmagic3:

for the vet visit tomorrow.

Hope he is OK.

Such a young boy for such health problems.

#5 CatsRU

CatsRU

Resident Crapologist

• Premium Platinum Poster
  • 70,181 posts
  • Interests:Cats, Reading, Entertaining, Friends.

Posted 22 July 2010 - 08:03 PM

You might have to feed him up on kitten food. Heaps of good luck for his vet visit tomorrow.

#6 Lotus

Lotus

....:Cat Addict:....

• Members1
  • 8,342 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 08:33 PM

It is of concern and can indicate a nutritional deficiency or an illness. Let us know how you go at the vet.

#7 Heather Sharada

Heather Sharada

Foundation Member

• Administrator
  • 66,812 posts
  • Interests:Meditation, Spiritual Lifestyle, Vegetarianism
    Reflexology -Homoeopathy,
    Ex Breeder Sharada Birmans. Like cats to have free access cat-proof garden.

Lived England 14 years - returned 1998

Posted 23 July 2010 - 10:01 AM

The vet visit is good - I would have thought it was a mineral or some other nutritional deficiency.....come on Bob - eat up and get your weight back on. Let us know what the vet thinks please.

#8 JarrahRagdolls

JarrahRagdolls

• Members2
  • 703 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 10:16 AM

Hi, just saw this thread and thought I would warn that when we redid our catterys after our move some years ago. Our boys became very lethargic and looked really unwell, worse by the day. They had almost stopped eating lost weight and I was really horrified. Then I was told that concrete ingested is toxic to cats. Especially when it is new and still has the dust and powder coming off it which will happen for a long time. As you cant paint concrete for 3 months after it is laid we had to cover it over and they straight away improved. This has also happened to a friend of mine that did not know why her outside cats were looking very unwell and unhappy. concrete painted and all was ok.
I had to wash them to get the concrete dust off them as they loved to roll around on it.
so if he has been sick I would really be stopping him from licking any way you can. sorry dont really know why they do it but thought I would just share my experiance with you.

Dineke

#9 Kicol

Kicol

A CWer since June 22, 2006

• Members2
  • 9,822 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 10:47 AM

Wishing you luck at the vet's visit. :catmagic3:

#10 Hayls

Hayls

• Members2
  • 694 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 12:35 PM

ok back from the vet, they are happy with Bob's condition, said there are no signs of any relapse or other issues going on, I discussed trying to get him to put on more weight, she suggested vitamin B (Vegemite on toast being a good source) and Omega 3 capsules (liquid mixed in a small amount of wet), she said the dry that I'm feeding is definitely fine.... I said I purchased some more kitten mix for him as I thought it would help him with conditioning up.... I can get a special type of dry for weight gain but its hard to come by as mostly the speciality dry caters for weight loss not weight gain.... She suggested a little less wet food so he gets a good intake of dry daily also.....

any body else got any ideas..... As I have one cat on the verge of needing to diet I'm guessing the Omega 3 capsule and vegemite is going to be the way as I will know he is getting those without Diesel getting too much.....

She also said although he is on the skinny side he isn't malnorished his coat is in great condition..... She didn't want to let him go home as she remembered what a gorgeous temperament he has and he had extra cuddles from everyone again.....

She said one of her cats licks plaster (as in wall plaster), just an oddity

Also she said to come back if I'm unhappy with anything.......

Oh and he will be forever on cortizone at what dose I'm still unsure so I will continue with the 5mg every 5th day for a little longer

#11 Rachael

Rachael

.:Super Member:.

• Members1
  • 2,240 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 12:38 PM

I can't add too much too this to help you but I do hope your babies will be okay. Will be keeping my fingers crossed for them and you.

#12 Guest_Avalon_*

Guest_Avalon_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 July 2010 - 02:35 PM

Hayls glad all is well lots of magic for your baby hugs Cherie

#13 Hayls

Hayls

• Members2
  • 694 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 09:47 PM

ANOTHER UPDATE

Ok so it seems Bobby doesn't mind Vegemite so that's a good thing - too early to tell whether its working or not, but fingers crossed...... We haven't tried the Omega 3 as yet, he seems a lot more interested in eating calling for his dinner etc again so it seemed to be a sort set back with him.... We were asked to lessen the wet food intact but that seemed to have the reverse affect as he is a grazer when it comes to his bikkies so its back to regular wet meals with a combination of bikkies (kitten, total wellbeing advance and a small bit of supercoat)

He is so bright and happy and affectionate other than the slenderness of him so we are generally happy in that sense.....

I was wondering whether you would give the omega 3 plus a smear of vegemite daily or just try one or the other to see what happens.....

we spoke to the vet again today about the cortizone, she said they are wanting that to continue until his weight improves and bloods are still normal, so finally we know exactly what we are trying to achieve with his medications..... so its 1/4 tablet every 5th day or 1mg / day until we see him gain and maintain his weight for a length of time..... So we are very happy with how things are, and very glad at the very least a little poppet is a happy *** vegemite......

#14 Expana

Expana

..:Member:..

• Members
  • 14 posts
  • Interests:Cats, Travelling, Photography

http://ManyaTheCat.com - Extraordinary Life of Awesome Cat Manya, my fur kid

Posted 17 February 2016 - 08:26 PM

Just to anyone whose cat started licking the concrete - this may indicate anaemia (lack of red blood cells). You need to check your cat's gums, specifically the top of the mouth. If it's pale, most likely it's anaemia.

I highly recommend anyone whose cat started licking the concrete, take the cat to a vet and ask them to check the cat for anaemia.

One of my cats started doing that and it was quite unusual for him. Later he was diagnosed with a bone marrow disease. His bone marrow stopped producing red blood cells. He lived his last days thanks to blood transfusions.

Please take this cat behaviour seriously. The faster you get the diagnosis, the sooner you will be able to combat the disease, if any contributes to the behaviour. Unfortunately, Kitty's disease type was incurable.

Hugs to your furry ones xox Natalie

Copyright © 2014 Cat World. All Rights Reserved.

Home     Contact Us    Privacy Policy     Disclaimer     Site Map