Photo

Female British Shorthair - Low Hanging Belly?

belly British Shorthair female

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 tabs

tabs

..:Member:..

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:56 AM

Hello Cat-World

I have not been here for a long time - I am the owner of an adorable British Blue named Bombay Sapphire (or Bombino as we tend to call her!)

She turns one on Thursday :)

As she has matured, we have noticed that her belly seems to have "dropped" for want of a better word.

Is this normal?? It doesn't seem to bother her. My husband wonders if it is because she is busty?

:luv:

I'll try to post some pictures here this evening to show what I mean.

#2 Doreen

Doreen

Hopelessly Devoted to Cats...

• Members1
  • 29,076 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:28 AM

I believe it is very common with desexed girls, they get pouchy. My ragdoll and my DSH both have their belly pouches, and both of my daughter's do as well. Happy Birthday to Bombino, I can't believe she is turning one already! Pics would be lovely. :)

#3 sher

sher

.:Super Member:.

• Members2
  • 1,896 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:24 PM

As Doreen said, very common in desexed cats. I have 3 boys and 2 of them have a belly pouch.

#4 Lenicat<3er

Lenicat<3er

.:Super Member:.

• Members2
  • 1,572 posts
  • Interests:Cats, kittens and any other members of the cat family, animal lover, cooking, reading, taking photos, making cocktails, making candles, trying any and all teas ever made and painting nails.

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:14 PM

Yup Zuess has a big apron! It sways when he walks! Hehehe :rofl:

#5 brn2rn

brn2rn

• Members2
  • 387 posts
  • Interests:My two amazing boys, Springsteen, Springsteen, watching DVDs, Reading & did I mention Springsteen. No? Okay then Springsteen

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:42 PM

I have two desexed boys (both Burmese & quite energetic) & they both have saggy bellies. My previous cat, a desexed female moggy, also had it.

#6 Kicol

Kicol

A CWer since June 22, 2006

• Members2
  • 9,822 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:21 AM

My girl has also a saggy belly (not really fat though), but I think it is also breed related - she has some BSH genes in her, while a friend's siamese does not have a gram of fat or saggy belly that you can see.

#7 tabs

tabs

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:51 AM

Ah - I never thought it could be to do with her de-sexing. Poor little girl. I love the idea that it is called a pouch though - we often joke that she is our little blue pademelon, so this just adds to that!

Thank you all so much for solving the mystery! I would have been mad with curiousity by the time she's next due for her shots :shocked:

#8 Chris

Chris

Foundation Member

• Members1
  • 1,674 posts
  • Interests:Cat showing.

Posted 05 January 2015 - 11:04 AM

My British Shorthair has a huge belly flop and we love it!!!!

#9 Analog6

Analog6

The Enclosure Nut!

• Members1
  • 11,564 posts
  • Interests:Cats (of course), photography, astronomy, desktop publishing, steam trains, military history (esp WWI), reading, writing, horses, travelling to new places.

Posted 07 January 2015 - 04:35 AM

Those are the flabdominals - and ben lions have them so its not restricted to desexed cats!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: belly, British Shorthair, female

Copyright © 2014 Cat World. All Rights Reserved.

Home     Contact Us    Privacy Policy     Disclaimer     Site Map