8 replies to this topic

#1 Silly Meow Meow

Silly Meow Meow

Kitten

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 07:21 PM

hey everyone :)

my cat is 1 year and 1month old. he is desexed and is an indoor cat. He always sit near window and look at the outside. I think he want to go outside. I live in an apartment with no yard. I put him outside in the apartment area but he was very afraid of everything and ran back home door straight alway. Then I bought a cat leash for him. but every time I put the leash on him, he becomes very unhappy and become still lol. he spends most of the day starring outside and isn't interested in toys we bought for him. does it mean he wants to go outside?

He is a timid and shy cat. he doesn't like visitors. i find pet shop sells pet stroller. I wonder maybe i can buy one and take him go outside of our small apartment. I know it is very silly. but my cat is like my baby. I hope i can do everything for him to make him happy. 

Do u think buying a pet stroller will work?

#2 charleycat

charleycat

... : Little By Little : ...

• Members1
  • 8,149 posts
  • Interests:So little time, so much to do! Homeschooling, Coursera studies, music, reading (if I had the time), knitting blankets ;) using essential oils and homeopathy...

Posted 22 April 2014 - 07:43 PM

I found the outside noises scared my cat. He preferred to be inside unless he was in a quiet area on a harness to eat some grass, then he would head straight back inside. He liked to sit on the windowsill or by the back door and chatter with the birds.

#3 Kicol

Kicol

A CWer since June 22, 2006

• Members2
  • 9,822 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 03:26 AM

Hi and welcome to the forums ...  From what you are posting, it seems that your cat is enjoying being an indoors cat and is happy watching the world from his vantage point ........  he doesn't look interested in 'being' outside but just watching what's going on outside from the comfort and security of his home.   He seems scared from the outdoors as well from what you said. 

#4 furball

furball

....:Cat Addict:....

• Members1
  • 5,677 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 09:58 AM

Some people think that cats are missing out, by not going outside.  You are doing the right thing by keeping him an inside cat.  He's not missing out on anything he doesn't know.

I think from the way you describe him, he is much happier indoors.

Welcome to CW.

#5 bigbadbud

bigbadbud

.:Super Member:.

• Members1
  • 1,569 posts
  • Interests:animals/art/photography

Posted 01 May 2014 - 08:44 AM

We have an enclosure (obviously :evil: ) but we have one cat out of our 5 that refuses to go out at all.  Oh yes she will sit at the open front door - we have a screen door as well - and will smell the air, but refuses to go out.

so I think it is an individual thing :-)

#6 fleabag

fleabag

Ebay Queen

• Members1
  • 37,072 posts
  • Interests:Travelling ..umm travelling ..travelling

Posted 01 May 2014 - 09:09 PM

I think some cats see windows as 'cat tv'.....I have a cat who sees mirrors in the same way ...

If you have a secure flyscreen he will be able to smell outside and still be safe ...

#7 monty_dweezil

monty_dweezil

.:Advanced Member:.

• Members2
  • 972 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 01:05 PM

Both my cats love just watching outside, laying by the balcony doors (glass doors open, screen doors closed), feeling the nice fresh air, watching leaves move around in the wind, listening for geckos chirping, peering through the curtains to see any neighbours as they walk by. They are content with that, though I would love to see them in a proper outside enclosure once we move.

This is of course until we hear the bell of the outdoor cat who wanders around outside our ground floor apartment. Then the glass door with paper stuck to the bottom half must close so my cats cannot see out and freak out at the outdoor cat. BLEGH!

#8 Analog6

Analog6

The Enclosure Nut!

• Members1
  • 11,563 posts
  • Interests:Cats (of course), photography, astronomy, desktop publishing, steam trains, military history (esp WWI), reading, writing, horses, travelling to new places.

Posted 29 January 2015 - 06:49 AM

Sounds to me too as if he enjoys just watching.  You can get window boxes that fit into the window but let the cat be 'outside' but contained by netting and /or glass.  perhaps you could look into one of those?

#9 PrincessK

PrincessK

..:Member:..

• Guests
  • 93 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 06:58 AM

Yours sounds like inside cat because of apartment living. Mine is both outside and indoors but on acerage. She jumps on my bed at 3AM wants to go outside to pee (despite having two litter trays inside) there must be something pleasing to her to pee outside? Loves to roll around in the dirt outside too - despite having a white fur coat - gets so dirty - I dont understand that? Loves to eat grass outside and still catches grass hoppers and moths to eat - despite being old at 12yrs. Theres something natural about animals being outside. In your case, I would try both - even just for 1hr a day - but always stay with him - for his short outside stay to keep him safe.

Copyright © 2014 Cat World. All Rights Reserved.

Home     Contact Us    Privacy Policy     Disclaimer     Site Map