• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 AmyC

AmyC

Kitten

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 10:17 PM

Hi there.  I have a 7 year old cat who is like my child.  She is so sweet and loving and acts more like a dog than a cat sometimes.  I'm going to be traveling soon to Australia and wanted to get feedback about traveling with a pet.  If it's safe or advisable and what your experiences have been, if you have any.  

I'd be interested to hear what people have to say about it

:usa:  

#2 vision ragdolls

vision ragdolls

..:Member:..

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 12:01 AM

Hi

U should be fine. Many breeders import to Australia. Just check the vaccine required and quarantine times and costs. Good luck. Puss will be fine. U will be more stressed than he will.

#3 Doreen

Doreen

Hopelessly Devoted to Cats...

• Members1
  • 29,076 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 09:50 AM

Hello and welcome. Are you thinking of just travelling with your pet, and then taking her back home with you? If so, I would say no, don't do it, but if you are moving here for a long time, check out the quarantine rules, your pet will need various vaccinations and need to be I quarantine for a while once she gets here. But as for travelling, many cats find change in environment stressful, and ok if you are moving house, but not ok if you are just going on vacation. I would look for a house sitter if you can get one to live there with your cat, it all depends on how long you will be away.

#4 AmyC

AmyC

Kitten

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 12:04 PM

Thank you guys for the feedback.  I'm really torn on what to do.  I actually have never left my cat more than a day.  I had a bad experience in 2007 when I left my 10year old cat with family while I went to California for about 2 weeks.  I don't know exactly what happened, but she ended up dying because she wasn't cared for properly.  It tears me up to think about that time in my life.  I fear that something might happen to my current cat if I am gone too long.  I also don't have any one that I trust enough to leave her with.  She's my closest family.  She is literally like my child and the thought of leaving her feels terrible.   I'm a nervous wreck  

I read about the 10 day quarantine that is required in Australia If I were to bring her.  I have to go to Sydney for medical treatment. I guess the 1st thing I really need to find out is how long I will be there, then I'll be able to figure out what to do.  I'm waiting to hear the details from the doctor.  Until then, I am sort of up in the air

#5 Kit and Kat

Kit and Kat

..:Member:..

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 10:12 PM

Hi Amy.  It's actually quite a lengthy process to bring a dog or cat into Australia.  The quarantine period may only be min 10 days but there are months of preparation, tests and certificates to get prior to leaving the US.  And it's a very long flight here and back and quite expensive.  If you are coming for anything less than 6mths I wouldn't even consider it.  You might be better off interviewing small catteries and seeing if you can find one you are happy with, maybe even give one or two a trial run.  I know I feel more secure leaving my cats at a trusted cattery than having my family or friends look after them.  I think it would be much less stressful than flying in the long run.

#6 AmyC

AmyC

Kitten

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 01:23 AM

really?  Hmmm.. okay, I will look into those and see what is available here. 

Since my cat is in good health and current with her shots, I most likely will bring her if I am out there for any period of time close to 3 months.  I can't see leaving her behind if I will be away for that length of time.  6 months would leave my cat feeling abandoned in my opinion.  That's way to long to leave a member of your family.  

#7 Doreen

Doreen

Hopelessly Devoted to Cats...

• Members1
  • 29,076 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 07:35 AM

I am sorry to hear you are having medical treatment, I hope you will be ok. IMHO three months is a very short period of time to put her through everything, and I don't know where you will be staying but not all accommodation here is pet friendly. There is the journey to the airport, the waiting time before the flight, the flight itself, the waiting time after the flight, then ten days in quarantine with strangers, then the move to wherever you are staying. Then on the way back you go through the trips and waiting and flights again. I really think that is a lot to put a cat through. Cats at very resilient, she wouldn't feel abandoned, if you have her at a nice cattery she will only have to endure one change of environment until you come back, and no stressful flights or quarantine.

#8 Kicol

Kicol

A CWer since June 22, 2006

• Members2
  • 9,822 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 08:45 AM

Welcome to the forums :welcome:  Hoping that your treatment goes well and your health recovers soon.  As others said, it will be a lengthy and costly process to travel with your cat and getting her through the quarantine period, etc.  The length of your time away from home will not justify to put your cat through such an stressful period, she will be more comfortable if you board her for those months.  I know it is difficult to leave them behind, but it will be much better for her.

#9 Heather Sharada

Heather Sharada

Foundation Member

• Administrator
  • 66,812 posts
  • Interests:Meditation, Spiritual Lifestyle, Vegetarianism
    Reflexology -Homoeopathy,
    Ex Breeder Sharada Birmans. Like cats to have free access cat-proof garden.

Lived England 14 years - returned 1998

Posted 12 June 2015 - 08:10 PM

I think you would be surprised at how quickly cats adjust to lengthy cattery stays.....my two girls were re-homed with a friend who has a boutique cattery about 3 months ago because of a health issue that was life threatening to me.....they took a couple of weeks to adjust but I have seen photos of them over the last few weeks and they have settled just fine. I don't think I will visit them for another 3 months though because I don't want to unsettle them as they will not be coming back to me.

In your case you will be returning and although you might get the cold shoulder for a while I think they will welcome you back.....I am another that thinks it is too much to put them through for under 6 months and some catteries are wonderful.....do check some out

Copyright © 2014 Cat World. All Rights Reserved.

Home     Contact Us    Privacy Policy     Disclaimer     Site Map