Photo

Newly Adopted Kitten Wants To Nurse From My 4 Yr Old Male!

kitten inappropriate suckling

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 sylviepld

sylviepld

..:Member:..

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 02:38 PM

Hi there.  About 4 weeks ago I adopted a 3 month old kitten from a cat rescue organization.  He is perfectly healthy, playful and affectionate.  He immediately hit it off with my 4.5 year old male cat.  They play together, sleep together and follow each other around the house.  However, just one or two days after we brought him home I noticed whenever they relax together the kitten tries to latch onto my older male cat.  At first my older cat tolerated it but he is now starting to get annoyed.  He no longer wants to sleep on the bed with me if the kitten is there.  The kitten is very persistent and keeps trying until he drives my older cat away.  

I have tried taking him off and he comes back immediately.  It takes about 20 attempts before he gives up (if he gives up at all!)  My poor kitty now has small bald spots around some of his 'nipples' because of this crazy behavior.  I know that the kitten was born into a healthy environment and well cared for.  He was not weaned early.  What I would like to know is if there is any chance this suckling behavior will stop as he gets older and if there is anything I can do to get him to stop.  Thanks.

#2 tuxbrian

tuxbrian

..:Member:..

• Members2
  • 370 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 01:53 AM

i had this situation too and mine did stop it with time. cats, like people have their own individual personalities so just because that phase passed with my kitten who tried to suckle a male cat, may not mean yours will too.

hopefully all will be peaceful someday soon with your furbabies

#3 Chris

Chris

Foundation Member

• Members1
  • 1,674 posts
  • Interests:Cat showing.

Posted 07 July 2014 - 11:46 AM

I use to put a bit of the kids nail biting spray around my dogs nipples to stop the new kittens sucking off her, worked a treat. a doesn't hurt the kittens, once they get the taste of that they don't like it and wont go back, must keep up the spray for a few days , perhaps once in morning and once at night just on nipple area.

#4 monty_dweezil

monty_dweezil

.:Advanced Member:.

• Members2
  • 972 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 12:53 PM

Heheh, apparently Dweezil, before we got him from the breeder, used to try to nurse from ALL his litter mates (girl or boy) after they weened him off his mother. lol. Greedy boy. He once went to lick me...in that region while I was getting dressed and snuggling him at the same time...ah...yeah. That was funny. LOL

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: kitten, inappropriate suckling

Copyright © 2014 Cat World. All Rights Reserved.

Home     Contact Us    Privacy Policy     Disclaimer     Site Map