The Age Old Issue - Spraying - And Some Tough Decisions

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Jess S

Jess S

.:Senior Member:.

• Members2
  • 1,051 posts
  • Interests:Cats, cars, travelling, sleeping in, and more recently, Turkish Vans!

Posted 23 October 2014 - 08:57 PM

Hey guys! I know I'm not on here much these days (busy life, and planning a wedding, woo!)

So you would think it'd be my rescued Turkish Van causing the drama, but no...

Zed is my moggy desexed indoor only boy who I've had for about 6 years. He was a single cat for his first year, then I added another boy who Zed mothered and was dominate over. I moved,got the girls, kept one who integrated perfectly with the boys (3 days, you wouldn't read about it). About a year later I moved taking Zed and my girl.

Now moving back home for a year or so I couldn't have the cats inside, so they lived in a rumpus workshop area with an outdoor run. It was very home like but not in the house, and they got lots of visits but didn't live every minute with people. 12 months later I relocated into my own home, and the cats have the same set up here, indoor only with access to a run. But this time Zed has been spraying on and off for the first time, and 2 years on its ongoing.

Sometimes it's a full wee, sometimes it's spraying.
He's had crystals before, but throughout the spraying I've had him tested for infections and crystals and he's fine.
It's not always in the same spot. Sometimes it's when we are home, sometimes not.
We have tried rescue remedy and feliway together and separate with no real result.
At house 2 there were other cats coming in the yard and he was never bothered. There are cats coming into this house yard and we can't stop them. He is never aggressive or vocal through windows. When I first moved in we didn't have blinds, so we tried paper at the window so he couldn't see. No result.
I now have blinds, no change. He pees on the blinds.
I have tried locking him into the run and laundry but this makes no difference.
Went back to the vet and he has been on anti depressants for 3 weeks, half tablet. Made him like a zombie, backed off to a quarter, still spraying.
I am at my wits end. I feel guilty that all the moves and changes has impacted his mental wellbeing but unless I opt for zombie cat there is nothing more I can do. I love him dearly but I can't cope with him ruining my home. If its the other cats I cant stop them coming into the yard.

Is it time to surrender him and give him a new home? :-(

#2 ChocolateDots

ChocolateDots

Spots, spots and more spots

• Administrator
  • 9,204 posts
  • Interests:Dotty, spotty Ocicats

Posted 23 October 2014 - 09:55 PM

You could try Suprelorin, it's an implant used in breeding dogs & cats but has also had great success stopping neuters from spraying.

There are also sensor sprinklers that can deter wandering cats, someone else might know more about that than me.

#3 Heather Sharada

Heather Sharada

Foundation Member

• Administrator
  • 66,812 posts
  • Interests:Meditation, Spiritual Lifestyle, Vegetarianism
    Reflexology -Homoeopathy,
    Ex Breeder Sharada Birmans. Like cats to have free access cat-proof garden.

Lived England 14 years - returned 1998

Posted 24 October 2014 - 01:03 PM

Have you tried Feliway and also Rescu?

#4 charleycat

charleycat

... : Little By Little : ...

• Members1
  • 8,152 posts
  • Interests:So little time, so much to do! Homeschooling, Coursera studies, music, reading (if I had the time), knitting blankets ;) using essential oils and homeopathy...

Posted 02 November 2014 - 09:22 AM

Have to admit this is the sort of thing we have with Lucy - not spraying but weeing. Vets call it idiopathic cystitis although last test they didn't actually find anything. I think it's just where Lucy is at. She now has exclusive possession of the outdoor run but comes inside for most of the day as long as she stays visible. If she starts to wander off it's back to the run. I have found no cure. If she shows signs of cystitis she gets a homeopathic remedy which settles things down very quickly. Otherwise she is thriving in her own domain. Perhaps that's what they need - an exclusive place of their own?

#5 Jess S

Jess S

.:Senior Member:.

• Members2
  • 1,051 posts
  • Interests:Cats, cars, travelling, sleeping in, and more recently, Turkish Vans!

Posted 03 November 2014 - 03:28 PM

Well I've gone back to zombie cat at half a tablet, and its kinda better, kinda worse. Rather than spraying, every few days he's doing a massive wee (like, I swear it went for 5 minutes!) right in front of me, in the same spot. Called the vet today, he's not back at work until Wednesday and he's going to call me then.

Maybe you're right Jen, maybe I've got to kick him out into his own run and have him inside occasionally. He's such a snuggle bug though... It's just so annoying that I have to have half my house locked up and be constantly paranoid that he's going to pee on... everything!! 

#6 petmad

petmad

..:Member:..

• Members2
  • 229 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 04:41 PM

yes superlorin is doing wonders for spraying toms. worth looking into

#7 burmeselover

burmeselover

....:Cat Addict:....

• Members1
  • 8,521 posts
  • Interests:Veterinary Nursing (I am a Certificate IV qualified Veterinary Nurse)
    Cats (especially Burmese cats)
    Guinea Pigs

Posted 05 November 2014 - 06:14 PM

What drug is he on?

#8 burmeselover

burmeselover

....:Cat Addict:....

• Members1
  • 8,521 posts
  • Interests:Veterinary Nursing (I am a Certificate IV qualified Veterinary Nurse)
    Cats (especially Burmese cats)
    Guinea Pigs

Posted 05 November 2014 - 06:14 PM

What drug is he on?

Copyright © 2014 Cat World. All Rights Reserved.

Home     Contact Us    Privacy Policy     Disclaimer     Site Map