5 replies to this topic

#1 dmcwlvssr

dmcwlvssr

..:Cat Mad:..

• Members1
  • 4,784 posts
  • Interests:Critters

Posted 16 January 2015 - 03:56 AM

Hi all it has been awhile since I have been here but I really need some feedback.

Sundance my Somali has always been a bit high strung. He goes off (hissing and spitting) frequently. seeing a neighbor cat really sets him off, then everyone must stay clear for at least 1/2 hr before he calms down. He used to pick on my RB girl Pandi.  I would catch him straddling her with a mouthful of her neck. She would just lay there until I caught him and made him stop. Now he is doing this to my old guy Dusty. Out of the blue he will just go off too. I took him in for tests and complete blood work and there are no physical issues. This is not a new issue it has been going on for a good 9 yrs. he is 10.

I use feliway(?) and rescue remedy but it does not help. I am now thinking of kitty tranquilizers. What are your feelings on kitty meds? Thanks in advance for any shares.

#2 Joy

Joy

Happy Cat Lady

• Administrator
  • 26,277 posts
  • Interests:Bridge, Computers, Cats & more cats

Posted 16 January 2015 - 04:36 AM

If nothing else works & your vet says OK, why not

#3 Analog6

Analog6

The Enclosure Nut!

• Members1
  • 11,562 posts
  • Interests:Cats (of course), photography, astronomy, desktop publishing, steam trains, military history (esp WWI), reading, writing, horses, travelling to new places.

Posted 16 January 2015 - 05:28 AM

What situation are they kept in?  Inside; inside with enclosure etc?  Maybe he needs more 'space'.  We have 5 cats and have to practice segregation.  Two of them, Yoda the Cornie and Farida the oriental, are good buddies (the duo) and the other three, Honey the super timid Siamese, Zafira the more adventurous Siamese and Tinkerbelle the laid back BSH (the girls) are more laid back - BUT, the two lots DO NOT mix.  The duo have the enclosed back porch and their own enclosure, the girls sleep with us and have an enclosure opening from Warwick's bedroom.  They come out to play with us in the morning, the duo come out in the afternoon when the girls go into Warwick's room (aka the ladies Lounge).  Everyone eats alone, we have just enough rooms :)

It's a bit tedious but it works.  You may have to think of doing something like this if the aggression becomes a real problem.

Edited by Analog6, 16 January 2015 - 05:29 AM.

#4 dmcwlvssr

dmcwlvssr

..:Cat Mad:..

• Members1
  • 4,784 posts
  • Interests:Critters

Posted 16 January 2015 - 05:31 AM

thanks has anyone used meds like this before???

Space is limited, not much I can do about that. They have access to an enclosed patio outside and 2 rooms inside. I have multiple cat tree of different heights in each room and patio. As far as the "aggression' he doesn't attack he just gets scary, like I said we know and we leave him alone. when he does the mouth full of neck it is outa the blue and no notice no hissing he comes up from nowhere. This is not a vicious movement just kind of happens. he does get play time, and lovin time,  I use to have 2 more kitty's but now I am down to just the 3.

Edited by dmcwlvssr, 16 January 2015 - 05:43 AM.

#5 Analog6

Analog6

The Enclosure Nut!

• Members1
  • 11,562 posts
  • Interests:Cats (of course), photography, astronomy, desktop publishing, steam trains, military history (esp WWI), reading, writing, horses, travelling to new places.

Posted 16 January 2015 - 05:41 AM

I know some people have - even up to Prozac but many people complained it completely changed their cat's characters and made them 'zombies'.  So it's a mixed bag.

#6 monty_dweezil

monty_dweezil

.:Advanced Member:.

• Members2
  • 972 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 12:56 PM

We had Dweezil on a mild sedative for a while after he totally freaked out when seeing outdoor cats wandering past our balcony (we live in an apartment on the ground floor). We had to separate him and Monty for 8 days if I recall (this is over 2 years ago I think). I can't remember what meds he was on, but they were in the form of paste and we ended up with it in our hair and all over our clothes more than in his food or mouth. LOL. Luckily he didn't need it for long and he was also never a zombie at all. We barely noticed a difference. We've had paper plastered to our windows ever since though, so they can't see the cats anymore. Sigh.

Copyright © 2014 Cat World. All Rights Reserved.

Home     Contact Us    Privacy Policy     Disclaimer     Site Map