• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 PeterljCat

PeterljCat

Kitten

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 10:48 AM

Dr Noel Fitzpatrick in Surrey UK is doing wonderful work for cats.

Oscar the first bionic cat underwent a pioneering operation to add prosthetic feet.

Pixie the cat…is paving the way in orthopaedic surgery.

I look forward to watching his return series of The Supervet on Wednesday 6 May 2015 at 9.30pm The Lifestyle Channel. But unfortunately there are only 5  episodes to enjoy.

The business side of Fitzpatrick Referrals concerns me a lot.

Obviously he has tapped into the lucrative business of making money from pet insurance companies from lodging claims....ultimately I pay for that.

I can only visit Fitzpatrick Referrals with a referral from my local vet.
He only handles the difficult cases…and there is a tonne of money from that.

An opportunity to be creative using injured animal cases does pave the way for better human surgery.  He calls this “the one medicine” approach.

But shouldn’t his government be funding his creativeness for his university study experiments? 

I cannot be asked to fund his creativitiness using my money already paid to my pet insurance fund.

He is making tonnes of claims using my pet insurance fund ultimately it impacts on my budget to pay for my cats insurance in the future...which will push me to a position where I can no longer afford to pay.

It does seem like he has found a very "creative" way to obtain funding from the pet insurance industry for his work as a Professor (still lecturers at Surrey University in the UK). This money received does fund his referral practice and achieves the exact same "experiment" outcomes as a university.

Good on him? 

Maybe not.

We know that pet insurance premiums keep on rising.
And this is just another example of how to make insurance out-of-reach for the majority of cats who get to suffer from that.

I feel he should keep his university experiments inside his university classrooms making his funding come directly from his government in order to stay clear from influencing rising pet insurance premiums which do have might wider impacts for our cats.

Peter

#2 Heather Sharada

Heather Sharada

Foundation Member

• Administrator
  • 66,812 posts
  • Interests:Meditation, Spiritual Lifestyle, Vegetarianism
    Reflexology -Homoeopathy,
    Ex Breeder Sharada Birmans. Like cats to have free access cat-proof garden.

Lived England 14 years - returned 1998

Posted 07 May 2015 - 12:47 PM

Interesting thoughts.....in Australia RSPCA have also entered the Insurance Industry and part of your fee goes to them - one of the wealthiest organisations for Animal Welfare.....even Super Markets offer and have pet insurance....money out there somewhere..

Copyright © 2014 Cat World. All Rights Reserved.

Home     Contact Us    Privacy Policy     Disclaimer     Site Map