• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Felix & Mia

Felix & Mia

..:Member:..

• Members2
  • 288 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 01:13 AM

It has been a long time since I have posted, and things were going really well.

Me and my two cats (Felix and Mia) moved into a new place with my fiancé and his cat (sleek) just over two years ago. As the house was new to all three cats, and we kept them seperate and slowly introduced them they all got along rather well.

Eight months later, a family member needed to rehome their cat, and I thought well what's one more right?

So we now have four inside only cats:
Felix 8 year old male DSH desexed at 8 weeks old
Mia 8 year old female Burmese desexed at 6 months old
Sleek 3 year old female DSH desexed at 6 months old
Simba 2 year old male DSH desexed at 9 months old (when we got him).

I didn't realise Simba was already 9 months old and not desexed when I agree to take him in.

We did the separating and introductions, and they all seemed to get along ok for the most part. But as Simba has grown things have been getting worse.

Felix and Mia are close to each other, and Simba and sleek don't mind each other. Simba will wrestle with sleek, occasionally he will not know when sleek has had enough and there is a bit of fighting. Simba usually leaves Felix alone. But Simba has been attacking Mia. Not just the a few tuffs of fur, I'm talking full on, last time he left two small wounds/cuts and I was devastated. I didn't see or hear that fight occur as it happened overnight. Since then at night we keep Felix and Mia on one side of the house and Simba and Sleek on the other side. Simba seemed to be getting better so we would let them interact and wander around when we were home. Every now and then Simba would chase Mia, but he would stop once she jumped back into her bed on top of the washing machine in the laundry. Sometime he will stalk around looking for her. I don't know why. Mia will just sit there and growl at him.

Tonight he attacked again. I was in the other room and heard them both, I came running out to see Mia fleeing to the laundry where her bed is, Simba was just a few steps behind her. Mia jumped into her bed on top of the washing machine and Simba jumped right in there with her, wrapped his paws around her and attacked. Mia peed everywhere. I screamed at Simba and grabbed him off Mia and he jumped out of my arms and ran into another room. I stayed to make sure Mia wasn't bleeding. Once I checked her over I went to find Simba. He was under my bed. I picked him up and put him back on the other side of the house.

I just don't know what to do. Please don't flame me. I really have been trying everything I know to fix this. I tried feeding Mia first and giving her attention first, I tried feeding Simba first and giving him attention first. I have tried keeping them separate 24/7, I have tried keeping them separate just when we are not home. We both spend time each morning and evening/night with each of the four cats. Nothing I do seems to make any difference.

On his own Simba is a beautiful affectionate lovely cat. I just really need him to stop attacking Mia, but I don't know how?

Our next step is to take him back to the vets, and from previous discussions they would give him medications to help calm him down? I want to make sure before I think about it that we have done everything we can first.

Does anyone else have any suggestions on what else we can try? I am really desperate and will listen to any feedback, even if it's to tell me I am doing something wrong, because I am out of ideas.

#2 Joy

Joy

Happy Cat Lady

• Administrator
  • 26,283 posts
  • Interests:Bridge, Computers, Cats & more cats

Posted 09 May 2015 - 07:02 AM

That's not a bad idea, mediactions from the vet but I would try Feliway first & see if that helps. I would perhaps even try Rescue Remedy as well, especially for Mia who now must be so stressed.  I think you have done just about everything else to help ther situation.  I assume that Simba has now been desexed.

My youngest attacks one of my old girls on the odd occasion but the minute we rub out he runs away & knows that he's done wrong, but it still doesn't stop him.  We manage the situation as best we can & it doesn't happen very often & certainly not to the extent of your situation.

Good luck & please let us know what happens

#3 Analog6

Analog6

The Enclosure Nut!

• Members1
  • 11,563 posts
  • Interests:Cats (of course), photography, astronomy, desktop publishing, steam trains, military history (esp WWI), reading, writing, horses, travelling to new places.

Posted 09 May 2015 - 07:08 AM

We have exactly this problem with Yoda attacking Honey and Farida joining in.  She's just recovering from an accident 3 weeks ago where they gout into her room, Yoda bit her and she had a big abscess burst last week.  This problem has led to a separated household.  It was the only way to do it without getting rid of one or two cats, and that was just not on the cards.  If your house will lend itself to this, I suggest you try it.  Have one pair with you in the mornings, and one pair at night.  Make a sleeping room for the pair who do not sleep with you (if you have cats sleeping with you).  You will never be able to leave Simba and Mia together, even when you are home.  Bullies are quick and sneaky.

Interestingly, Yoda was not desexed until 11months, just before I adopted him.  It's lead to some aggression and he will bite.  Basically, he's a bully and has got our 3 old girls fooled.  Farida is a match for him as she just up and swats him and he backs off.

Our system - Zafira, Honey & Tinkerbelle - the ladies - live in our bedrooms and have half the day out with us, in the evening usually.  In summer, they have the run of the house and the cattery attached to Warwick's room at might.  Afternoons, after biscuits at round 1pm, are spent in Warwick's bedroom, which has a cattery opening from it.  We call it the Ladies Lounge :) .  

Yoda and Farida - the dynamic duo - sleep on the back (enclosed) porch in summer and in the lounge room in winter (for the fire).  They are out in the mornings, as their room faces west and gets afternoon sun, so they like it then.  This room has a tunnel to 2 joined cat enclosures.

It's a bit fiddly and there are times when we have to adjust and change them round, but it works.  Everyone gets quality cuddle time with Mum and Dad, and all have access to garden enclosures.  Far, far better than rehoming a cat to someone who might not treat them as well as we would.  Good luck with them.

Edited by Analog6, 09 May 2015 - 07:10 AM.

#4 Felix & Mia

Felix & Mia

..:Member:..

• Members2
  • 288 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 08:15 AM

Thanks Joy, yes Simba is now desexed, I did that the day after I got him when he was nine months old. That was almost a year ago now. For Simba it was a life and death move. He couldn't stay where he was (house with four huskies and one other older cat) the dogs did not like him and apparently would try to chase him. The older cat didn't like Simba. I told my family I would take in Simba but they would need to then keep the dogs apart from the older cat as the dogs had learned a 'fun' new game of chasing cats. Sadly twelve weeks later I get a call to let me know the dogs had 'somehow' got inside and killed the older cat. Had Simba of still been there it would have been him.

Thanks Analog6. So I guess there are just some cats there are never going to get along. I hope Honey is doing ok now. I can understand not wanting to rehome anyone. It's not always that easy.

The house we are in has a door in the middle between our kitchen and loungeoom which we are using to keep them apart at the moment. So Simba and sleek have the huge front room and loungeoom, and Felix and Mia have the kitchen/dinning room and the laundry and during the day our bedroom as well. It's doable but not ideal. We are moving in the next few months so in don't know if the new place will be able to be sectioned off for them.

I will see if I can pick up some rescue remedy today, how much do I use and how do I give it? It is just a few drops in their water? Does anyone know if the feliway spray is better then the diffuser? I really want to make this work.

#5 Joy

Joy

Happy Cat Lady

• Administrator
  • 26,283 posts
  • Interests:Bridge, Computers, Cats & more cats

Posted 09 May 2015 - 12:41 PM

Yes just a few drops of RR.  I actually rub a couple of drops behind the ear too when things are quite bad.  I prefer the diffuser & use Pacific Pets as I have found them the cheapest.

Copyright © 2014 Cat World. All Rights Reserved.

Home     Contact Us    Privacy Policy     Disclaimer     Site Map