3 replies to this topic

#1 Baxter_Reed

Baxter_Reed

..:Member:..

• Members2
  • 146 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 10:42 AM

Hi all!

My two kitties are doing great!  However I am having a little bit of situation and not sure how to deal with it.

I have a 7 year old spayed female named Sushi, and a 9 month old neutered male named Elliott.  Elliott is part Maine Coon and is already larger than Sushi.  Of course, being 9 months old he's not quite out of kitten stage.  He's a rough and tumble boy who is VERY active.  My problem is he is constantly picking on Sushi.  I never seem him get aggressive, but he follows her around, wants to play with her tail ALL THE TIME, won't let her eat.  And on nd on.  There are moments where he does get rowdy and will plow her over but I see it as him trying to play, not trying to be aggressive.  However, Sushi hates it.  Sushi growls and hisses at him NONE stop. 

I'm aware that there isn't like an alpha male in cats, like there is in dogs (Unless what I"m reading is wrong) and that's more or less behavioral training.  I"m wondering if any of you have been in this situation and how you dealt with it.  He seems to respond well if I divert his attention.  But, I wonder what he is like when I'm gone and the two of them are home alone.  Any advice of how to help get over this cat/kitten barrier would be very much welcomed!

#2 Joy

Joy

Happy Cat Lady

• Administrator
  • 26,278 posts
  • Interests:Bridge, Computers, Cats & more cats

Posted 17 July 2015 - 05:13 PM

We have to separate one of ours from the group when we are not home.  We have a large dog crate which she loves & also sleeps in a night or she can also escape by sleeping down the rear of our home in the 3rd bedroom.  We use a water spray to keep the others away from her when we are home when it is required - not very often

#3 ChocolateDots

ChocolateDots

Spots, spots and more spots

• Administrator
  • 9,204 posts
  • Interests:Dotty, spotty Ocicats

Posted 17 July 2015 - 06:48 PM

It's often best to have 2 youngsters with an older cat so they can play together and the older one has some peace.

I'd separate them when not at home to make sure Sushi has some time without being bothered.

#4 Baxter_Reed

Baxter_Reed

..:Member:..

• Members2
  • 146 posts

Posted 19 July 2015 - 01:12 AM

This is really helpful, thank you!!

I'm pro getting a 3rd cat :) 

I was reading through old post and read a post about a kitty time out.  Today as we were having a bad bout of pestering, and me saying no for the 1,000th time, I gave him a 10 minute time out.  This actually helped all 3 of us a ton!  For Elliott he chilled out and came out being a lovey baby.  For Sushi, she got a moment to eat and find a place to go sleep.  And for me, I got a breathe from feeling frustrated!  I don't like feeling frustrated toward him.  So I think this might be a helpful tool.  He's been out and about now for probably an hour and just been chill.  Playing with his toy, coming to me for some love- so I'm going to try this for a bit and see if that can help me out.  Elliott is already 6 kilos.  Sushi is only 5.3 kilos, so he has a lot more weight and in his 'playful' moments can really tumble Sushi.  This is when she gets mad and things escalate!

Allis well on this end- and really appreciate the advice!  Thanks to all of you!!!

Copyright © 2014 Cat World. All Rights Reserved.

Home     Contact Us    Privacy Policy     Disclaimer     Site Map