6 replies to this topic

#1 emmski7

emmski7

..:Member:..

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 05:01 PM

Hi All,

Its been a long while since I posted on here. My boy Harlan is six now and doing well. 

About two years ago he unfortunately fell ill from crystals in his urinary passage but fortunately recovered without surgery -this was triggered by new years eve fireworks, however he is quiet healthy now.

We are going away at the end of the year to Bali for 10 days and I am hesitant to put him in boarding for the time as I think it may stress him out. On a positive note at least a vet would be available if he did fall ill. 

If I were to leave him at home alone most of the time would he be ok, my mother in law would go in & feed him twice a day & we were also going to get a pet sitter to drop in every other day to play. A friend has also offered to come over 3 times over the 10 day period and just hang out with him.

Would he be ok with this? Or is boarding a better idea?

Your thoughts/experiences would be appreciated, he is like my kid & very spoilt. 

Thanks

Emma

#2 Joy

Joy

Happy Cat Lady

• Administrator
  • 26,267 posts
  • Interests:Bridge, Computers, Cats & more cats

Posted 28 July 2015 - 05:20 PM

I use a pet sitter who comes in twice a day.  My cats are far less stressed being in their own environment.

#3 Analog6

Analog6

The Enclosure Nut!

• Members1
  • 11,560 posts
  • Interests:Cats (of course), photography, astronomy, desktop publishing, steam trains, military history (esp WWI), reading, writing, horses, travelling to new places.

Posted 29 July 2015 - 07:57 AM

I agree.  If you have reliable people coming in so he is not alone the whole time, apart from feeding times, then home is always best, especially for nervous cats.  Tell him you are going, and tell him you will be back.  They do read us far more than we know and he will get the message.

Have you been away more than one night before and left others to feed him?  I remember the first time we did it, back when we just had Zoe and Marmie, they were very upset and hissy when we came home.  But after that, when they knew the routine and that we did in fact return, they became very blasé and were perfectly happy.

#4 emmski7

emmski7

..:Member:..

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 06:33 PM

Hi,

Thanks for the replies.

Yes we have been away for 5 nights before and he was fine. 

We have arranged for the following: 

* mother in law to feed and do litter trays twice a day

* Pet sitter to come in for play dates every other day

* A friend will drop in 3 times over the period and just hang with him

Do you think this is sufficient enough for the time period?

Thanks

Emma

#5 Joy

Joy

Happy Cat Lady

• Administrator
  • 26,267 posts
  • Interests:Bridge, Computers, Cats & more cats

Posted 30 July 2015 - 05:35 AM

Sounds fine, but I'm sure he will be delighted when you come back home

#6 Satchmo

Satchmo

Global Cat Addict

• Administrator
  • 22,830 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 08:04 AM

I think that sounds like a plan. 

#7 Analog6

Analog6

The Enclosure Nut!

• Members1
  • 11,560 posts
  • Interests:Cats (of course), photography, astronomy, desktop publishing, steam trains, military history (esp WWI), reading, writing, horses, travelling to new places.

Posted 01 August 2015 - 06:52 AM

Sounds good, he should be OK.  Cats sleep much of their day anyway, he will adjust to his new routing=e over a day or so and be good.

Copyright © 2014 Cat World. All Rights Reserved.

Home     Contact Us    Privacy Policy     Disclaimer     Site Map