• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 purplerainbow

purplerainbow

Kitten

• 1 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 09:05 AM

Hello, 

I am looking for a breed to get, and the most important thing to me is that I have a cat that likes to be picked up. I love being able to carry my cat around with me like a baby. I know there are several other threads that address "lapcats" but it isn't enough that the cat is just a lapcat for me, they also have to like being picked up and carried and I know not all lapcats like that. 

Which breeds are best for carrying around?

So far I have looked into the following:

British Shorthairs (I love how they look, but I heard they don't like to be picked up?)

Birmans (people say they are cuddly but I'm not sure about the picking up part .. )

*note: I know some will suggest I get a shelter cat, but I've had shelter cats before and want to have my first purebred! 

Edited by purplerainbow, 04 March 2016 - 09:07 AM.

#2 Joy

Joy

Happy Cat Lady

• Administrator
  • 26,284 posts
  • Interests:Bridge, Computers, Cats & more cats

Posted 05 March 2016 - 10:29 AM

Hi, my experience with British is the they do like 4 feet on solid ground, but are happy to be lap cats. I have had Birmans in the past - 1 loved to be picked up & cuddles & the other not so much.  Having said that the one that liked being cuddled I bought as a kitten, the other as a 2 yrs old.

#3 Analog6

Analog6

The Enclosure Nut!

• Members1
  • 11,564 posts
  • Interests:Cats (of course), photography, astronomy, desktop publishing, steam trains, military history (esp WWI), reading, writing, horses, travelling to new places.

Posted 05 March 2016 - 10:50 AM

Have you looked into Ragdolls?  I believe they like to be carried.

#4 bevbrits

bevbrits

.:Advanced Member:.

• Members2
  • 655 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 08:24 PM

I would not recommend a british shorthair as they really are not happy been carried around.

Have you considered a Russian??

They can be very placid.

#5 Kit and Kat

Kit and Kat

..:Member:..

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 11:00 PM

I've found Burmese to be love bugs.  My Burmese love being carried in a full body hug.  My Grandmother used to show Burmese and at home she was never without a Burmese draped around her shoulders.  Ragdolls are meant to be cats that like being picked up too, although my mother's Ragdoll, while being a lap cat, doesn't want to be carried for too long.  I do think how much handling they get as a kitten makes a difference to how much they want to be held, so you may want to go with a smaller breeder or one that spends a lot of time handling their litters.  I've also found when I switched to having indoor-only cats (as opposed to cats with access to outdoors) they were much more attentive and affectionate.

Keep in mind though that a cat that wants to be cuddled may not do well being left alone for periods of time (my Burmese get separation anxiety) so you may want to get two for company.