Peeing On Floor Not In Litter Tray

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 tartantop

tartantop

Kitten

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:spending time with my now 3 cats as i lost Dribbles (RIP)and taking the my son & the dogs to the beach

Posted 23 April 2016 - 07:42 AM

Please in dire need of help with cats peeing on floors, I have 4 cats 2 females ages 8 & 1, 2 males ages 8 & 9, I got married and our son was looking after the cats for a while, I had recently moved my cats into my husband’s house in March, my cats were raised in the old house, I built them a run on the back veranda and now they are permanently inside, they seem quite content, my problem is 3 for them (not knowing which one) is peeing on the vinyl in the laundry also on the floor boards in front of the toilet and bathroom doors as there is enough litter trays in the place, they get cleaned out twice a day before & after I go to work as I have done that for years, and yet my husband is home with them every day they have everything a cat could want inside, I don’t know what to do about it I have tried a lot of stuff as soon as the air dries the floor the smell goes and the cats are at it again please we need help  :doh: 

#2 Joy

Joy

Happy Cat Lady

• Administrator
  • 26,284 posts
  • Interests:Bridge, Computers, Cats & more cats

Posted 23 April 2016 - 08:12 AM

You say as the floor dries the smell goes away - no it doesn't.  You really need to make sure all are cleaned with an enzyme based cleaner.  I have attached a couple of articles that may help.

http://www.cat-world...cat-urine-odour

http://www.cat-world...ination-in-cats

#3 Kit and Kat

Kit and Kat

..:Member:..

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 02:17 PM

I had this problem when my cats were fighting; one of them developed stress cystitis (FIC).  I wonder, with all the changes your kitties have gone through, if one or more has stress cystitis.  The first time it happened my Vet put the stressed cat on Metacam, but that might be hard if you don't know which is doing it.

Couple of the things the vet recommended were increasing the amount of moist food for a while (like humans, cats need more fluid with cystitis) and playing with the cats more to get the stress levels down.  I think the recommendation that worked the best was running Feliway diffusers, esp around the kitty litter areas (I had to use the spray for the outside trays).  Also, I did find my once outside cat preferred dirt and would only go in the pots with grass in them, so I filled one tray with dirt and put sugar cane mulch over the kitty litter in the others. 

You may also want to check out the cat behaviourist, Jackson Galaxy, as he has a whole section on solving kitty litter issues.  His website is jacksongalaxy.com sorry I can't seem to post a link, it crashes every time I try.