Photo

The Change To Wet Food Is Costing Me A Fortune!

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 cat_mioux

cat_mioux

.:Super Member:.

• Members2
  • 1,952 posts

Posted 12 May 2016 - 10:28 PM

Hi lovely cat lovers! ♥

Pene, Thai and Beau are now getting on in age ... 11 - 12 years old. I had been feeding them premium dry food and some raw meat until Pene started vomiting on most brands of grain free dry food and someone (never worked out who?) started having diarrhoea. At the same time I realised dry food wasn't good for their ageing kidneys so I made the change to wet food. Pene and Thai took to wet food with no problems but it's taken a year to transition Beau onto wet food. He certainly is a stubborn (hates any change to his routine) little fellow! Even now he'll turn up his nose to a can of something he wolfed down only the day before until I microwave it for 5 seconds for His Royal Fussiness.

Anyway .. Whiska's has always given Thai diarrhoea (he has IBS) so that's out. Cheap food in jelly gives Pene and Beau diarrhoea. Fancy Feast and Dine cause no problems whatsoever but oh my .. I'm spending over $40 a week to feed them 2 cans per day. Some days I feed them 3 cans each because they always seem hungry. I also feed them human grade raw meat every few days (more than that and they all get diarrhoea). They won't even look at pet food raw meat. I've tried with no success whatsoever.

I tried them with a grain free dry food brand the other day but Pene vomited twice and Thai had diarrhoea.

Those with multiple cats .. what do you feed your kitties? PS Is 2 x FF cans each per day enough? They always seem to be hungry (running to their bowls every time I walk into the kitchen) since the complete switch over.

#2 Joy

Joy

Happy Cat Lady

• Administrator
  • 26,283 posts
  • Interests:Bridge, Computers, Cats & more cats

Posted 13 May 2016 - 05:53 AM

Oh you poor thing.  I feed fresh kangaroo & Felix As Good as It Looks _ cheaper than FF, especially when on special.  Mine won't look at FF now.  I have Muffy on Science Diet Kidney food & Miki & Proplann Urinary Tract Dry & Elmo on Science Diet dental Dry & the other share the dry.  At the moment I have Advance as Yummy won it at a Cat Show or if I buy it is usually Royal Canin Sensetive..  So I can feel your pain.

Love to our special boy & also you, Penne & That

#3 Analog6

Analog6

The Enclosure Nut!

• Members1
  • 11,563 posts
  • Interests:Cats (of course), photography, astronomy, desktop publishing, steam trains, military history (esp WWI), reading, writing, horses, travelling to new places.

Posted 13 May 2016 - 07:16 AM

WE feed 4 FF cans between 5 cats twice a day.  They get a numbered treat of RC Siamese biscuits at midday (5-20 each).  Every second night they get raw meat, 100g each except Zafira who gets about 80g.  

I buy FF in bulk when it is on special, last week Warwick got a special offer on his PetBarn membership for up to 96 cans (4 boxes x 24 cans per box) @ 69c each.  I bought another 4 boxes for the 20% off special.  I'd suggest joining up with any stores that are within reach of you that have loyalty card systems.  Pet Barn and the other big one (Pet something?) send emails of specials.  It really is worthwhile stocking up at those times.  

I never buy from supermarkets, they are too dear.  I can get the FF chicken filet for a regular 95c price from a Tasmanian chain, that's my fall back source.

#4 tuxbrian

tuxbrian

..:Member:..

• Members2
  • 370 posts

Posted 13 May 2016 - 10:00 AM

you could look into pet meat abattoir who supply pet meat to the zoos but will also sell to ordinary people and that could be a way to cut costs

when we lived in Melbourne we used to buy from the pet meat abattoir at Laverton. Yes some people object to that and some people agree that is the way to reduce costs. we used to buy the bags and divide it into meal size portions and freeze it that way.

our cats were throwing up all the time when I tried to feed any commercially prepared cat food

we were buying sardines in tomato sauce [for some reason our cats preferred that one] from Aldi for I think 75 cents or so [human grade as pet food contains meat by product or meat meal and you should google that for a horror story] and mixing that with the fresh meat and also if you can buy some granulated kelp and just sprinkle as you would salt on top of the meat for extra minerals. it did not work out any more expensive that feeding the cats the cheap 70 cents a tin can of cat food

#5 cat_mioux

cat_mioux

• Members2
  • 1,952 posts

Posted 13 May 2016 - 02:39 PM

Hi lovely Joy, Analog and tuxbrian,

Thank you for your replies and I hope you are all well.

You are all very creative and flexible with feeding your beloveds!

I've just discovered Coles has it's own brand of wet food. They only have 3 choices and two of those are not suitable (jelly) but they do have a chicken in gravy that looks promising. And at 69c @ a lot cheaper than FF and Dine. I'll try them on it tonight. Fingers crossed!

Where I shop FF is always on special but all you save is 50c if you buy 5. Not exactly an earth shattering bargain.

I may try them with more human grade raw (I'll measure out 100g) and I'll try the sardines again, they may like them this time. I couldn't visit an abattoir :(     I'm a recovering vegetarian and meat still makes me gag a little even though I buy grass fed organic meat.

So 2 cans each per day should be enough for them? They are such little gutzers. They could eat 4 cans a day!

#6 Joy

Joy

Happy Cat Lady

• Administrator
  • 26,283 posts

Posted 13 May 2016 - 04:55 PM

That's the thing.  My little one would eat the lot if we didn't stop her.  Devons are renowned for their over eating

#7 cat_mioux

cat_mioux

• Members2
  • 1,952 posts

Posted 13 May 2016 - 05:28 PM

:eat:  The little beggars!

PS Beau isn't very good at grooming so when he eats his wet food he sticks his whole head in the bowl and ends up with food all over his face which then turns crusty so these days he has to endure a face clean from me every night. Oh boy.

Edited by cat_mioux, 13 May 2016 - 05:33 PM.

#8 tuxbrian

tuxbrian

• Members2
  • 370 posts

Posted 14 May 2016 - 07:18 AM

WE feed 4 FF cans between 5 cats twice a day.  They get a numbered treat of RC Siamese biscuits at midday (5-20 each).  Every second night they get raw meat, 100g each except Zafira who gets about 80g.  

I buy FF in bulk when it is on special, last week Warwick got a special offer on his PetBarn membership for up to 96 cans (4 boxes x 24 cans per box) @ 69c each.  I bought another 4 boxes for the 20% off special.  I'd suggest joining up with any stores that are within reach of you that have loyalty card systems.  Pet Barn and the other big one (Pet something?) send emails of specials.  It really is worthwhile stocking up at those times.  

I never buy from supermarkets, they are too dear.  I can get the FF chicken filet for a regular 95c price from a Tasmanian chain, that's my fall back source.

hey I just moved to Hobart so please give me all the tips you can because I am struggling to find the best places to get cat food here. You sound very knowledgeable of things local :)

#9 Joy

Joy

Happy Cat Lady

• Administrator
  • 26,283 posts

Posted 14 May 2016 - 08:48 AM

Poor wee Beau.  We do love him to bits though.  Lucky for him

#10 Poppi

Poppi

..:Cat Mad:..

• Members1
  • 4,342 posts

Posted 15 May 2016 - 01:20 PM

Cat_mioux I purchased some wet food cans from Coles (they were home brand) my two wouldn't eat it and I noticed it was made in China.  I don't purchase any food from China so I was glad that my two didn't like it. 

Edited by Poppi, 15 May 2016 - 01:30 PM.

#11 Kit and Kat

Kit and Kat

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 15 May 2016 - 08:13 PM

I have 3 cats and they each get a pouch a day (split between 2 feeds).  But they also get dried food, as the moist isn't enough, and my Tabbie is on the thin side.  I know with my dogs that they get twice as much moist food as they would get kibble because moist food doesn't have as much bulk as kibble. 

To save money I give them human grade meat as much as possible.  It works out much, much cheaper for me (I buy it when the supermarket does their Wed clearance) and they esp love kangaroo.  It works out about half the price of tinned food.  I form it into little patties to freeze and just defrost as I need.  I still supplement with kibble though for the taurine (because I'm paranoid).

I agree about stocking up from Petbarn or Pet stock, they are a lot, lot cheaper than the supermarkets.

#12 cat_mioux

cat_mioux

• Members2
  • 1,952 posts

Posted 15 May 2016 - 09:21 PM

Yes, I'll increase their raw food if their tummies can handle it.

I fed them the Coles brand chicken and vegetables in gravy. They love it and no diarrhoea BUT I checked the calories on the can. 34kcal per 100g as compared to FF which is about an average of 80kcal per 100g. I won't be buying the Coles brand again!

#13 Analog6

Analog6

The Enclosure Nut!

• Members1
  • 11,563 posts
  • Interests:Cats (of course), photography, astronomy, desktop publishing, steam trains, military history (esp WWI), reading, writing, horses, travelling to new places.

Posted 03 June 2016 - 12:15 PM

hey I just moved to Hobart so please give me all the tips you can because I am struggling to find the best places to get cat food here. You sound very knowledgeable of things local :)

I am a member at pet barn (Derwent Park Rd, Derwent Park) and my fall back place is Animal Tuckerbox (Lampton Rd, Derwent Park).  AT is best for cat litter, and they have the little boxes of 6 cans of FF for a regular price that works out at 95c a can.  They have a store in town to in Murray St, not sure of it is the corner of Melville or the next one down.  I get my shavings for rabbit litter there too 

PetBarn can be a pain, the brokers on the counter are lovely but some of the female staff are pains.  Warwick and I each have a membership, and I have Mum's old card too, and my neighbour who has dogs and birds has given me a spare on one his membership, so when there is a 96 can (4 boxes) limit on the specials I just make 4 separate purchases  :) :)

Whereabouts are you?  You'll have to come for a coffee and meet the pussies.

#14 Analog6

Analog6

The Enclosure Nut!

• Members1
  • 11,563 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 12:17 PM

:eat:  The little beggars!

PS Beau isn't very good at grooming so when he eats his wet food he sticks his whole head in the bowl and ends up with food all over his face which then turns crusty so these days he has to endure a face clean from me every night. Oh boy.

Oh dear!  Poor love.  Have you tried Purr?  Mine like the fish varieties but are not keen on the chicken.  Comes in nice big pouches, 85g same as FF tins.

Also, have you weighed your boys?  I weigh ours once a month or so to make sure they are on track.

Copyright © 2014 Cat World. All Rights Reserved.

Home     Contact Us    Privacy Policy     Disclaimer     Site Map