• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Purple Pei

Purple Pei

..:Member:..

• Members2
  • 138 posts

Posted 15 November 2016 - 04:35 PM

I apoligise in advance for the lengthy post.

Every now and again my cat wees outside of the litterbox. Generaly it is if we leave a piece of clothing or towel on the floor or a blanket on the couch, that kind of thing. He is 11 and desexed.

I think it started when i got my dog nine years ago. They are more friendly now and i will sometimes see them lying next to each other on the couch so close they are touching so no issues there id think.

It has started getting worse though and my husband and i are at our wits end. Yesterday my cat got in the clothes hamper and peed. Today he pulled a blanket out of the linen closet and peed on it as well as a pair of shoes.

He uses the litterboxes. I saw him do so this morning! We have four boxes for three cats. They dont always all get used.

I had him checked out by a vet some time ago and he was fine.

I have tried using feliway and it doesnt seem to make a difference.

I am mindful that i may have too many animals for my small house. When we got cat #3 we had been planning on moving shortly theresfter, but that never happened. We are still hopeful to move someplace bigger but it wouldnt be until next year. So i need to find some kind of solution until then. (Of course it could just make things worse as well.) As it is now he is only allowed on one side of the house when we are not home because he cant be trusted in the other when we are not around.

Anyone have any advice? He is kind of jumpy natured cat...he runs if there is a loud noise...would something like valium or prozac help?

Thanks

#2 Joy

Joy

Happy Cat Lady

• Administrator
  • 26,270 posts
  • Interests:Bridge, Computers, Cats & more cats

Posted 16 November 2016 - 04:59 AM

I would discuss with your vet & also make sure there is nothing physically wrong as well, as one of mine started weeing inappropriately  a while ago but she was trying to tell me she wasn't well. Sadly she is no longer with us.  I also have one of mine on Prozac, I have put extra trays around the house & I also have 2 Feliway diffusers running all the time.  I was sceptical about them but I do know when one has run out as he become a little more aggressive towards the others so it works.

#3 Purple Pei

Purple Pei

..:Member:..

• Members2
  • 138 posts

Posted 16 November 2016 - 04:25 PM

Thanks for your reply :)

#4 Analog6

Analog6

The Enclosure Nut!

• Members1
  • 11,561 posts
  • Interests:Cats (of course), photography, astronomy, desktop publishing, steam trains, military history (esp WWI), reading, writing, horses, travelling to new places.

Posted 24 November 2016 - 04:27 PM

It's a too many cats thing.  We had the same problem with Raymond when we got #6, it was a cat too far.  Luckily for us, one passed away shortly thereafter and he never did it again.  That's how we knew what caused it.  There's no answer except more space.

Do they have an outside enclosure?  If not, could you rig something up?  It may help.

Copyright © 2014 Cat World. All Rights Reserved.

Home     Contact Us    Privacy Policy     Disclaimer     Site Map