58 replies to this topic

#46 Joy

Joy

Happy Cat Lady

• Administrator
  • 26,270 posts
  • Interests:Bridge, Computers, Cats & more cats

Posted 18 February 2017 - 08:52 AM

We have our buried too Odille, but my husband has made little plaques & we have them like a headstone, but they will come with us when we leave here.

Good luck with the vet visit

I must admit I have found a change in the ones we have left, especially Miki & thinking back he was probably the one who missed out the most - middle child syndrome.  He has become more affectionate even with my husband.

#47 cat_mioux

cat_mioux

.:Super Member:.

• Members2
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 12:57 PM

Its lovely to have a special memorial in the garden.

Yesterday was the first day I actually felt 'happy'. I was laughing and joking with work colleagues and they noticed it. But driving home I started to think about Beau and the grief hit me again but as you say that's to be expected.

I'm struggling a little with the changes in Pene and Thai. Pene now refuses to eat with Thai and has little interest in food even if I feed her in another room. She tends to go on a hunger strike for no apparent reason other than stress. When she had the 'cone' on after surgery a couple of years ago she refused to eat. Last time she went on a hunger strike, after a kidney infection had cleared up, the vet saw her every day for 5 days - scans, x-rays, blood tests. The only thing that got her eating again was tinned tuna smeared on her mouth and lots and lots of patience and attention.

And to complicate things further Thai has little interest in eating without Pene next to him. But his inherent greediness :eat:  makes him eventually eat his meals over the course of the day thank goodness.

Pene still needs lots of attention, like Miki bless him, and Thai clings to me when he lays down to sleep. It breaks my heart to see them grieving too.

Hugs to you both Joy and Odille x

#48 Analog6

Analog6

The Enclosure Nut!

• Members1
  • 11,561 posts
  • Interests:Cats (of course), photography, astronomy, desktop publishing, steam trains, military history (esp WWI), reading, writing, horses, travelling to new places.

Posted 18 February 2017 - 04:06 PM

Its so hard to explain to them :(  We have always favoured taking the body home and letting the other cats see it - reactions very from none to loud vocalisations and running away.  But I've found it helps them to adjust.  Ive done this ever since, over 40 years ago, long before we enclosed, we lost a little cat only a year old who never saw his special chum's body after he died.  He was run over, we think looking for the other cat.

#49 cat_mioux

cat_mioux

• Members2
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 02:03 AM

I also favour letting the remaining pets see/smell the body. I'm sure it makes it easier for them to understand.

I brought Whisker's body home for Pene to see (she was just a year old). She sniffed his body and watched. She seemed to understand and didn't grieve at all, so it seemed.

Pene has eaten well tonight thank goodness.

#50 catsmeow

catsmeow

Foundation Member

• Members1
  • 6,331 posts
  • Interests:my three cats - Dootie, P Puss and Widgee Wee, dining out, tv show- the Bill, aerobics, my family

Posted 21 February 2017 - 06:20 PM

MIchelle, I am glad to hear that you had a happy day.  There will be many ups and downs, the little things that will trigger the tears of sadness and happiness.  Even now I still have the odd little cry.

I didn't fully understand you pet feeling grief until Dootie lost his two siblings within the space of six weeks.  Pene has eaten so that is good.  Thai will come around eventually and your household will re establish itself again.  It is occasions like this I wish we could speed up time.

I have the ferals cremated and all their three urns are beside each other and a friend gave me a guardian angel to watch over them.  They came into this world together as siblings so it is only right that they are together again.  They will be buried with me when my time comes.

#51 Joy

Joy

Happy Cat Lady

• Administrator
  • 26,270 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 05:07 AM

My friend has also done this Gloria.  After she bought home Angel's ashes her other cat Izzy slept by those ashes for ages even though my friend didn't think they were close.  It must be some sense higher than ours.  I  prefer to have home euthanasia as you can take your time to let the others have their good byes. We didn't do that with Elmo as he was PTS at the vets.

I so glad to read that Penne is eating well.  What about Thai?

#52 cat_mioux

cat_mioux

• Members2
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 12:35 PM

Pene is now eating more thanks to tuna for humans (I'm mixing it with her wet food) and Thai seems happier now that Pene is happier. I placed Beau's little wooden box on the floor last night. Pene had a quick sniff then walked on but Thai spent a bit more time sniffing the box. I'm still dosing Thai with Lysine! Usually when he has a cold all it takes is a couple of days of Lysine but this has been over a week and a half. If I miss a dose he starts coughing and sneezing again. Feliway didn't seem to make much difference. I wish we could speed up time for the kitties too Gloria.

I am giving them lots of love and cuddles and once a day they play chasey, briefly, like old times so I think they are progressing quite well. Thai did try to 'knock' Pene off her Top Cat position in the household but I think Pene is now reasserting herself so stay tuned for who gets the CEO job!

I miss Beau with all my heart.

Love to sweet Elmo and hugs for you Joy and thank you Gloria. xx

#53 cat_mioux

cat_mioux

• Members2
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 12:43 PM

shavedcats005.jpg

Thai looking like a teddy bear (shaved for summer).

#54 Joy

Joy

Happy Cat Lady

• Administrator
  • 26,270 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 05:03 PM

As you realise how much time you devoted to Beau & now you have that time for Penne & Thai.  Such a lovely photo of Thai.  My hubby says what a different cat Miki now is because now I can devote a bit more attention to him.

Hugs xxx

#55 cat_mioux

cat_mioux

• Members2
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 11:30 PM

To everyone here at CW, I just wanted to post to say how much your wonderful words and hugs brought me such comfort in the early days when dear Beau passed away. It meant so much to me to share his loss with those that remembered his funny little ways. Bless you from the bottom of my heart!

We are all doing ok. Pene is eating normally and remains very affectionate and Thai is less clingy but still likes to follow me from room to room but they seem more their 'normal' selves.

Love to all and thank you again.

PS I hope you are travelling well Joy. Give my love to Miki ♥

#56 Joy

Joy

Happy Cat Lady

• Administrator
  • 26,270 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 04:48 AM

Thank you for your support too.  We know what losing a special friend is like & one gone the dynamics change.  All mine a coping well & fingers crossed it will be a while before we need to msake t

"that"  decision again.   xxx

#57 Doreen

Doreen

Hopelessly Devoted to Cats...

• Members1
  • 29,076 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 11:30 AM

I love seeing the genuine love and caring here, hugs to all who still grieve for their babies. I've got my babies' urns and their ashes will eventually be joined with mine one day. Recently my Uncle was here and he helped me scatter the remaining ashes of my mother, his sister. Who knew when you put ashes in a columbarium that there would be so many ashes left over?. One day when there is a beautiful sunset, my daughter and I will go up onto the headland to scatter the rest of Dad's ashes, and I will add the ashes of Flopsy, his beloved dog, to his.

Losing Mitsi was devastating, I still think of her, especially as she and Harley looked after my Dad so well the year he was sick with cancer. Very shortly after she passed we moved to our new home, so I think the others had to adapt to the new surroundings which probably made the loss of Mitsi somehow easier. She and Harley were best mates, thankfully Boo Boo and Harley adore each other now and greet each other every day with head rubs.

#58 cat_mioux

cat_mioux

• Members2
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 10:56 AM

Doreen the love and care for your animals radiates from the page. And it's very special how much care and thought you give to scatter the ashes of your beloved family. Your post gave me a sense of comfort.

I'll be moving house too, once I find one suitable, and I was concerned about adding another 'loss' to Pene and Thai but your experience moving house has taken a worry off my mind.

Love to you and Boo and Harley and love to Joy and Miki xx

#59 catsmeow

catsmeow

Foundation Member

• Members1
  • 6,331 posts
  • Interests:my three cats - Dootie, P Puss and Widgee Wee, dining out, tv show- the Bill, aerobics, my family

Posted 04 March 2017 - 05:03 PM

while FB has many visitors it doesn't share the warmth that CW forum has.  It's been nice to revisit again and remember what a great place it was.  

Copyright © 2014 Cat World. All Rights Reserved.

Home     Contact Us    Privacy Policy     Disclaimer     Site Map