48 replies to this topic

#46 Joy

Joy

Happy Cat Lady

• Administrator
  • 26,264 posts
  • Interests:Bridge, Computers, Cats & more cats

Posted 18 February 2017 - 08:52 AM

We have our buried too Odille, but my husband has made little plaques & we have them like a headstone, but they will come with us when we leave here.

Good luck with the vet visit

I must admit I have found a change in the ones we have left, especially Miki & thinking back he was probably the one who missed out the most - middle child syndrome.  He has become more affectionate even with my husband.

#47 cat_mioux

cat_mioux

.:Super Member:.

• Members2
  • 1,947 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 12:57 PM

Its lovely to have a special memorial in the garden.

Yesterday was the first day I actually felt 'happy'. I was laughing and joking with work colleagues and they noticed it. But driving home I started to think about Beau and the grief hit me again but as you say that's to be expected.

I'm struggling a little with the changes in Pene and Thai. Pene now refuses to eat with Thai and has little interest in food even if I feed her in another room. She tends to go on a hunger strike for no apparent reason other than stress. When she had the 'cone' on after surgery a couple of years ago she refused to eat. Last time she went on a hunger strike, after a kidney infection had cleared up, the vet saw her every day for 5 days - scans, x-rays, blood tests. The only thing that got her eating again was tinned tuna smeared on her mouth and lots and lots of patience and attention.

And to complicate things further Thai has little interest in eating without Pene next to him. But his inherent greediness :eat:  makes him eventually eat his meals over the course of the day thank goodness.

Pene still needs lots of attention, like Miki bless him, and Thai clings to me when he lays down to sleep. It breaks my heart to see them grieving too.

Hugs to you both Joy and Odille x

#48 Analog6

Analog6

The Enclosure Nut!

• Members1
  • 11,559 posts
  • Interests:Cats (of course), photography, astronomy, desktop publishing, steam trains, military history (esp WWI), reading, writing, horses, travelling to new places.

Posted 18 February 2017 - 04:06 PM

Its so hard to explain to them :(  We have always favoured taking the body home and letting the other cats see it - reactions very from none to loud vocalisations and running away.  But I've found it helps them to adjust.  Ive done this ever since, over 40 years ago, long before we enclosed, we lost a little cat only a year old who never saw his special chum's body after he died.  He was run over, we think looking for the other cat.

#49 cat_mioux

cat_mioux

.:Super Member:.

• Members2
  • 1,947 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 02:03 AM

I also favour letting the remaining pets see/smell the body. I'm sure it makes it easier for them to understand.

I brought Whisker's body home for Pene to see (she was just a year old). She sniffed his body and watched. She seemed to understand and didn't grieve at all, so it seemed.

Pene has eaten well tonight thank goodness.

Copyright © 2014 Cat World. All Rights Reserved.

Home     Contact Us    Privacy Policy     Disclaimer     Site Map