Overgrooming Stomach

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 chellmc

chellmc

.:Senior Member:.

• Members2
  • 1,024 posts
  • Interests:talking about my cats and hearing about yours........

Posted 24 June 2017 - 06:36 PM

Hi everyone,

We were away for 5 weeks and when we got home I noticed for the first time that our 8 year old had a bare (almost hairless) stomach. We have a cat nanny who the cats adore and she works from home so is around most of the time.  

I have now observed her for the past few weeks and it seems like she is over grooming. I have booked in to see the vet but would like your feedback. Have any of you had experience with this? What are your suggestions for treatment and ongoing maintenance? 

Thanks,

#2 Joy

Joy

Happy Cat Lady

• Administrator
  • 26,281 posts
  • Interests:Bridge, Computers, Cats & more cats

Posted 25 June 2017 - 08:01 AM

It certainly sounds like it's stress related to me.  Have you been away for that length of time before?

#3 Jemcass

Jemcass

..:Cat Mad:..

• Members1
  • 4,016 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 04:28 PM

One of my cats overgrooms her tummy from time to time. Although we never see her licking at her fur, one side of her tummy gets quite bare. She has been seen by our vet, who thinks it may have started as a stress related thing, possibly while she was at the boarding cattery for a short stay, and has become a bit of a habit that she has. She doesn't show other signs of stress while at the cattery, and I'm sure is not at all stressed at home, it is just an intermittent thing that she does and the fur grows back slowly. The vet didn't think she needed any treatment as her skin is clean and looks good and it doesn't seem to worry her or cause any problems for her. It does sound quite similar to what you're describing with your girl. Hopefully things will settle down for her soon.

#4 chellmc

chellmc

.:Senior Member:.

• Members2
  • 1,024 posts
  • Interests:talking about my cats and hearing about yours........

Posted 26 June 2017 - 06:21 PM

Thanks Joy and Jemcass,

We are off to the vet this week, they will test for allergies but my guess is she missed us while we were away and is now in the habit of over grooming.  I do want to rule out anything more sinister. She has had an allergic reaction before but it was her face and her eyes that were affected. Best to get it checked out to be sure.

She doesn't seem to have any skin lesions, the skin on her tummy is healthy and unmarked, just lacking much fur.

She loves the cat nanny and the cat nanny loves her so it's hard to see that she would be stressed while we are away but of course it is possible.

Copyright © 2014 Cat World. All Rights Reserved.

Home     Contact Us    Privacy Policy     Disclaimer     Site Map