Hind Leg Weakness

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 HamletsKeeper

HamletsKeeper

Kitten

• 4 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 09:30 PM

My beautiful 14yr old girl has developed rear leg weekness and inco-ordination. A week ago she was all over the kitchen bench which is a bit uncharacteristic for her and now she cannot even jump up on the bed tonight. We are off to the vets tommorrow morning but I know this symptom is not a good sign, especially in an older cat. 

Less than a week ago she was bounding around the yard like a kitten. Big bounding runs and visting the greenhouse with me. She wouldn't go further than the rear steps today. I really hope it's not the bitter end and something we can treat. But she is old and well this doesn't look good at all. She just got over a sinus infection caused by a feral cat grabbing her in the yard and giving her a bite in her ear that became infected. The ear cleared up, then a snotty nose resulted which she battled for 2 months. Antibiotics did not help. The vet told me to take her home and realise I may just have to clean her nose for her, forever. 

I changed her diet and within a couple of weeks the infection cleared up completely. She had a good week or two of being hyperactive in the yard acting like a younger cat again. But now we have this. She really doesn't look happy tonight. She is still eating and drinking. She passed a stool today which looked fine. Still urinating normally. Ate her food with gusto as usual and even followed me back into the kitchen later when I made a cup of tea and danced around the food bowl. But her gait is wooden and she's sleeping on a pillow now and not looking happy. 

#2 CathyW

CathyW

.:Advanced Member:.

• Members2
  • 798 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 11:01 PM

I hope the Vet trip goes OK. It's such a worry when they are not right.

#3 Joy

Joy

Happy Cat Lady

• Administrator
  • 26,278 posts
  • Interests:Bridge, Computers, Cats & more cats

Posted 27 July 2017 - 05:47 AM

Good luck.  I do hope she will be OK.  We become more vigilant & worried as they age.

#4 HamletsKeeper

HamletsKeeper

Kitten

• 4 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 12:32 PM

We got back from the Vet this morning. First thing to do is run bloods for the full diagnostic picture which I will have the results of tomorrow. She seems comfortable enough just wanting to lay in the sun. 

Thanks for the well wishes. Both my kitties are now aged cats (17 & 14) and well I'm having to come to grips with the idea that they aren't immortal. It's hard to do. At least they snuggle in close to me at night, Need the warmth... :evil:

Edited by HamletsKeeper, 27 July 2017 - 12:37 PM.

#5 CathyW

CathyW

.:Advanced Member:.

• Members2
  • 798 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 05:15 PM

How is she now? Did the results shed any light on the matter?

Copyright © 2014 Cat World. All Rights Reserved.

Home     Contact Us    Privacy Policy     Disclaimer     Site Map