4 replies to this topic

#1 mario_luigi

mario_luigi

..:Member:..

• Members2
  • 157 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 05:08 AM

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has any advice in getting rid of fleas in an older cat.

My burmese cat (Mario) is almost 14 year old. He is an indoor cat.

In the first 13 years, he never had fleas, so I only sometimes gave him flea medication (as prevention, in warmer months).

Early last year we adopted a dog. 

Late last year, I started to notice fleas on the cat, so I applied spot-on flea medication (advocate).

On two occasions, a few days after the flea medication, Mario got really sick and ended up at the vet (pancreatitis).

Prior to this, he never had reaction to this.

He's still scratching, and I noticed a couple of fleas on him the other day (even after the flea medication 1.5 weeks ago).

But I'm too scared to give him any more medication in case something flares up again.

Anyone had experience with similar things before?

I'm also worried that the fleas is everywhere in our house now, give that Mario has been re-infected twice.

I'd like to call pest controller, but my husband is against that (too much chemical he said). Any alternative?

Thank you.

#2 Julia

Julia

Site Owner

• Webmaster
  • 18,409 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 12:49 PM

I found the most effective flea product has been Comfortis. Hope that is of help :)

#3 mario_luigi

mario_luigi

..:Member:..

• Members2
  • 157 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 06:15 AM

I found the most effective flea product has been Comfortis. Hope that is of help :)

Thanks for the response.

#4 Julia

Julia

Site Owner

• Webmaster
  • 18,409 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 09:40 AM

If you don't treat the fleas in the house, the pets will get re-infested. Only the adult flea lives on the cat, the eggs, larvae and pupae are all in the environment.

First step, fog the house if you can.

Get a flea collar, cut it up into 1 inch strips and put in the vacuum bag or barrel, vacuum the house. Pay attention to nooks and crannies such as skirting boards, under furniture.

I wrote an article on natural flea control last week which may be of help.

https://www.cat-worl...s-for-cats.html

Good luck.

#5 catsmeow

catsmeow

Foundation Member

• Members1
  • 6,334 posts
  • Interests:my three cats - Dootie, P Puss and Widgee Wee, dining out, tv show- the Bill, aerobics, my family

Posted 30 January 2018 - 08:40 PM

there are also some pest control business that are more eco friendly.  Maybe do a google or look up the yellow pages and see what is on offer.

Good luck

Copyright © 2014 Cat World. All Rights Reserved.

Home     Contact Us    Privacy Policy     Disclaimer     Site Map