3 replies to this topic

#1 sheena

sheena

..:Member:..

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 24 February 2018 - 05:43 PM

Hello!

I have a British Blue who's 14 years old.  I'm a bit worried about him, as he looks quite scrawny, and loosing a lot of fur.

When I pat him, I can feel his collar bone, and he seems to be shedding an excessive amount of fur.  Is this normal?

He weighs 3.7kg, which seems to be very light for a British Blue.

He's eating normal, and he is still playful and cheerful, and greets me at the front door when I come home each day.

I took him to the vet, and the vet says he's healthy.  To be quite honest, I felt like the vet didn't seem to care.  He said I could perform tests on my cat, but everything seems fine.

Any advice if this is normal for a senior cat, and if there are any foods that are good to assist with weigh gain for older cats.

Many thanks in advance!

#2 catsmeow

catsmeow

Foundation Member

• Members1
  • 6,334 posts
  • Interests:my three cats - Dootie, P Puss and Widgee Wee, dining out, tv show- the Bill, aerobics, my family

Posted 25 February 2018 - 06:49 AM

Hi Sheena, 3.7 kg seems very light for a British Blue, I always imagine them to be larger chunky cats.  Has he always be a small light weight boy?

Older kitties can develop a range of health issues and some of the effects of that is weight loss.

If you are concerned and not happy with the consult with your vet, I certainly would take him somewhere else for a second opinion.

Good luck and let us know how you go.

#3 Joy

Joy

Happy Cat Lady

• Administrator
  • 26,284 posts
  • Interests:Bridge, Computers, Cats & more cats

Posted 25 February 2018 - 07:01 AM

I would also consult your vet & perhaps have some bloods done.

#4 sheena

sheena

..:Member:..

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 11:01 PM

Thanks for your replies

He's always been a small light weight boy for a British Blue. He's never been over 6kgs.  I forgot to mention that I did change his food about 9 months ago, from Science Diet to Wellness grain free dried food.

I will also add more wet meals to his diet, and see how that goes.  The vet says if he drops to 3.5kg to take him in again for some tests.  If that's the case, I'll take him to see another vet.

Many thanks!