• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Silly Cat

Silly Cat

..:Cat Mad:..

• Members1
  • 4,054 posts

Posted 11 May 2006 - 08:04 PM

I was really shocked at the fact that the pet behaviourist on "The Pet Show" recommended a mat that gives cats an electric shock to keep them off the kitchen bench. I am pretty sure that collars that give shocks are illegal for dogs and I was wondering why the case would be different for cats? I thought the device sounded pretty cruel but I might be wrong!

#2 Graces mum

Graces mum

.:Super Member:.

• Members1
  • 2,870 posts
  • Interests:I am 36yr's old <br />I have 3 adorable teenagers<br />I love my pets so much and drive my gorgeous husband mad with them lol. One day he will buy me a hobby farm.

Posted 11 May 2006 - 08:11 PM

Oh dear I could never buy something that shocked my cats.
My cats get on my sideboards thats what antibacterial wipes were invented for...

#3 CatsRU

CatsRU

Resident Crapologist

• Premium Platinum Poster
  • 70,181 posts
  • Interests:Cats, Reading, Entertaining, Friends.

Posted 11 May 2006 - 08:12 PM

I agree I could never use anything like that.

#4 carmel

carmel

• Members1
  • 2,207 posts
  • Interests:Cats, reading, sewing, quilting and craft of most kinds, antique furniture collecting and restoring.

Posted 11 May 2006 - 09:35 PM

I too watched the show and saw this segment. What happened to good old aluminium foil instead of shocking a cat to "teach" it not to get on the benches, or lock the kitchen away or wash the bench down before food preparation like most of us do. Maybe a 24volt shock on his glass of red wine might make him think again.
Carmel

#5 nectarine

nectarine

..:Cat Mad:..

• Members1
  • 4,593 posts

Posted 11 May 2006 - 09:50 PM

Maybe the inventor would be kind enough to show us how to play with one in the bath???

#6 kirty

kirty

..:Member:..

• Members2
  • 182 posts

Posted 11 May 2006 - 09:57 PM

Thats really sad. Kitchen benches were invented for cats to sit on. Weren't they? Thats what my cats told me.... wink_3.gif

#7 nomoreroom

nomoreroom

• Members2
  • 143 posts
  • Interests:CATS, CATS &amp; more cats

Posted 11 May 2006 - 10:14 PM

You have got to be kidding me...we have a piece of stiff plastic that has double sided tape on it, that we use to keep the putties off of certain things at certain times, thats shocking enough to them...dirty looks, Oh My
Let's try seating him at the table in the "hot seat"

#8 *Crystal*

*Crystal*

....:Cat Addict:....

• Members1
  • 8,677 posts

Posted 11 May 2006 - 11:08 PM

Kitchen benches were invented for cats to sit on. Weren't they? Thats what my cats told me....

Yes, Teddy thinks it's a place to eat and sleep ROFL

#9 {Wild-cat}

{Wild-cat}

....99% Angel....

• Members1
  • 12,516 posts
  • Interests:I breed Birmans, I worked with the NSW Animal welfare league, St George branch as there cat welfare officer / Foster carer for 25 years. I run a mobile holiday feeding service and im also a vet nurse.

Posted 11 May 2006 - 11:18 PM

Well i find this very Shocking eyebrow.gif Who would invent something like this obviously not a cat lover. mad.gif

#10 furball

furball

....:Cat Addict:....

• Members1
  • 5,677 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 12:06 AM

My spray bottle works wonders and doesn't hurt them. Most times now, when they see me with the bottle, they shoot through.

I can't imagine a behaviouralist recommending something like electric shock for training.

#11 Charm and Strange

Charm and Strange

• Members2
  • 192 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 01:19 AM

Hi everyone,

This was invented in the US, as I understand, and I would never use one either.

Jodie and Thea can go where they like, and I'm happy with that smile.gif

If you can't cope with your cats doing things like this, maybe it's better not to have cats.

Having said that, I know that not everyone likes their kitties on the kitchen benches, but there are kinder ways of dissuading them.

Regards,
Susan, Jodie and Thea smile.gif

#12 Gemma

Gemma

• Members1
  • 1,977 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 08:41 AM

I have a hand vac that I place at one end of my bench. Whenever Josie looks like she's going to jump onto the bench, I just turn the vac on and - poof!! - Josie's off! Using electric shock treatment is inhumane.

#13 Guest_Pussiette_*

Guest_Pussiette_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 May 2006 - 09:17 AM

I don't think that the collars are illegal - I wish they were as I don't support this type of treatment either. As for the mat - how can this get through Animal Cruelty legislation and onto the consumer market? Appalling!

#14 Kelsey

Kelsey

• Members2
  • 134 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 09:22 AM

aww thats so sad sad.gif

#15 Chrissy

Chrissy

Show Junkie

• Members1
  • 6,141 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 09:28 AM

I saw that segment too. There is no way in Hell that I would use something like that, besides I'm with Crystal my girls think that the kitchen bench is theirs. Poor little Yoshimi hasn't learned to jump that high yet.