For All You "wanna Be" Breeders Out There

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#16 CatsRU

CatsRU

Resident Crapologist

• Premium Platinum Poster
  • 70,181 posts
  • Interests:Cats, Reading, Entertaining, Friends.

Posted 01 November 2008 - 12:43 PM

I am sorry that you are unwell Vicki - take care and hope Blackberry recovers very quickly.

#17 Twokids

Twokids

.:Senior Member:.

• Members1
  • 1,383 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 12:54 PM

**HUGS** Vicki,
Please let me know if there is anything at all I can do to help you out. I'm not that far away.
It's so much harder to cope with things when you're in pain (I had enough trouble looking after my two human children when my ear drum burst a few weeks back and they don't need feeds all night as well laugh.gif ).
I could never be a breeder, I know I wouldn't cope well enough with the heartbreaks. I cry whenever one of you posts about your losses and I've never even met most of the breeders.

Those of us that have the pleasure of owning one of your babies will always be grateful to you for the love and effort that you put into them. I will forever be thankful that you allowed me to be Fleetwoods person.

The breeders on CW are VERY special people flowers.gif

#18 Kimli

Kimli

.:Super Member:.

• Members1
  • 2,298 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 01:27 PM

Thank you for posting this Vicki.
I think you left out a lot of things you do, like the time, help and then the moderating of CW and all the show preparation. We've bathed Simmie once and done a rear end on him once. Suffice it to say I am no hurry to repeat the performance.

I surely hope the right people read this. It might be an idea to have realistic "weeks" in breeders lives, made into one post and pinned for the wanna-be's to read.
That way they can see it is not all Hallmark kittens playing with balls of wool in the breeding world.

I am also grateful you do what you do, because I have the wonderful and amazing Simeon! flowers.gif
In fact I am grateful to all the breeders for what they do and the websites they keep updated so I can go and drool. ** Thanks ** flowers.gif flowers.gif flowers.gif

#19 precious

precious

.:Advanced Member:.

• Members2
  • 555 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 01:42 PM

I think it was very well put. I don't think people realise how much work is involved and how much you sacrifice to be a cat breeder.
I know it was my wedding anniversary one year and we where going out for dinner. A girl had her kittens and thought all was okay and could go out for dinner.
On her final check she had prolapsed and I had to take her to the emergency vet and get her fixed up and everyone else went out for dinner and I sat at the vets.
I can fully relate to everything you said in the email.
Nicole

#20 chellmc

chellmc

.:Senior Member:.

• Members2
  • 1,024 posts
  • Interests:talking about my cats and hearing about yours........

Posted 01 November 2008 - 02:11 PM

Dear Vicki,
Like many of the cat lovers here I can't begin to express how grateful I am that there are such wonderful people who dedicate themselves to breeding our precious fur babies. Breeding is no doubt a labour of love and an all consuming passion with many heart breaks and set backs as well as the beautiful moments and the celebrations when all goes well.

I do hope you find the time you need to have your surgery soon. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

all the best and please know that you are appreciated, respected and revered by the cat lovers of the world.

Chell

#21 Heather Sharada

Heather Sharada

Foundation Member

• Administrator
  • 66,812 posts
  • Interests:Meditation, Spiritual Lifestyle, Vegetarianism
    Reflexology -Homoeopathy,
    Ex Breeder Sharada Birmans. Like cats to have free access cat-proof garden.

Lived England 14 years - returned 1998

Posted 01 November 2008 - 02:32 PM

Vicki that was a very good synopsis of the worst moments in a breeders life.....a much smaller breeder than you I too have had moments when I just almost wanted to shoot myself because of the build up of disasters that were no one's fault but just part of taking the good with the bad......

I hope that your health gets resolved very soon and that these little ones and their mum grow on to reward you for all your hard work....((hugs))

#22 Poppi

Poppi

..:Cat Mad:..

• Members1
  • 4,342 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 02:37 PM

Great big cyber hugs.

Meg says it all.

I too could never be a cat or dog breeder.. I just don't have what it take & I admire you all for your strength at times like this. I would also get too attached to the babies & I'd be a sobing mess EVERY time a bub left the property..

#23 mish&kodys mum

mish&kodys mum

• Members1
  • 3,695 posts
  • Interests:Art and Cats

Posted 01 November 2008 - 02:47 PM

Thank you for putting it all into perspective.

Its all so easy for us to call and organise our latest addition to the family.

I've always said it takes a very special individual to be a breeder. You need to be strong enough to cope with the heartbreak along with the success.

I for one could not do it. You are all very special.

Georgia

#24 KRYSSYKAT

KRYSSYKAT

• Members1
  • 1,791 posts
  • Interests:TOO MANY TO LIST

Posted 01 November 2008 - 02:54 PM

bearhug.sml FOR ALL THE CARING AND SHARING YOU DO WITH US IN HERE bearhug.sml despite being run off your poor feet in reality time and recovering from life in general as well from medical issues. Whether they are million $ babies or tiny ferals begging for life one cannot abandon the helpless ... but make sure you don't join the ranks by running yourself into the ground ... where would all your feline family be without you!!! and (selfishly) all of us who follow your posts etc. console.gif

er, dare i ask how many 'children' of the furry whiskery type you have to look after in your cattery (sum total of all animals) confused1.gif

AM glad Blackberry (is that her name??) is recovering and fortunately her babies are close to being weaned off onto solid food so your labour of love will ease soon. Do we get baby pics of you asleep in a chair coverd by your kitty bubs rolleyes.gif

Take care of yourself cos if you get sick who will love and look after your feline family as wellas you do!!! while you recover.

Chin up ... we are all flying the flags for you in here ... sheesh and I thought MY five were a load of labour ......

Krystina flowers.gif

#25 Wizzard

Wizzard

Nucking Futs.

• 8,621 posts
  • Interests:Cats, cats and more cats, Reading, Gardening, Scuba diving, Reef Tanks

Posted 01 November 2008 - 03:38 PM

You breeders do a wonderful job, and we are thankful. flowers.gif My hat off to you guys. I wouldn't be able to do it - the heartbreak.

Thanks for posting this, I think it should be pinned.

#26 Analog6

Analog6

The Enclosure Nut!

• Members1
  • 11,563 posts
  • Interests:Cats (of course), photography, astronomy, desktop publishing, steam trains, military history (esp WWI), reading, writing, horses, travelling to new places.

Posted 01 November 2008 - 03:40 PM

Being a breeder is always lots of hard work and joy and not much return financially. I haven't bred cats but I have bred horses. And we were over 100 kms from the nearest vet. It was especially interesting the time a helicopter went over inspecting the power lines - one Arabian mare aborted 9 month twin fillies, no we didn't save them; one foal staked itself, another reared in her stable and got her halter caught, luckily I was with her or she would have strangled herself. Mum and I were trying to cope with all that and the damned thing came BACK. We had weeks of dealing with the aftermath of sprains, strains and illness.

So I can relate to what you are saying, and yes, good for you for giving a realistic picture into the downs of breeding. I've thought about breeding cats but IF I ever do would wait until I am no longer working, I reckon it is a full time job in itself, even without a stud cat.

#27 kitkat_105

kitkat_105

• Members1
  • 2,981 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 03:48 PM

I think some people truly are delusional when it comes to breeding. I guess, as easy as it is for them to get their breeding cats it will be just as easy for them to get rid of them when things go pear shaped. If you get my drift. sad.gif

I have endless amount of respect for cat breeders in particular. As a perspective kitten slave, I'm just about a neurotic mess thinking about ONE kitten, who is partially grown up! The hard stuff is already done!

#28 raggiesrule

raggiesrule

Foundation Member

• Members1
  • 8,843 posts
  • Interests:My animals, all things cat, reading, cross stitch.

Posted 01 November 2008 - 06:24 PM

Hi Vicki,

So pleased to hear that Blackberry is doing a little better. Hope you manage to get some sleep soon and whilst I know you are not going to put yourself before your cats take care of yourself too or who will look after the kitties.

Jo

#29 Kyra

Kyra

• Members1
  • 2,794 posts
  • Interests:Reading, Computer Games and Breeding and showing Maine Coon Cats under my prefix Rumplteeza.

Posted 01 November 2008 - 06:55 PM

See Vicki I told you it should have been pinned!!! So glad it has it has been - a very big wake up call to aspiring breeders and very informative to those that adopt our babies. We pour ourselves into this heart and soul. I thought when I first approached you for a breeding girl (my beloved Chanti) that I had counted the cost. I thought I had considered everything. Orphaned kittens, a buffer for Vet Costs, my "understanding boss" etc. Well I am glad that I had at least those bases covered but oh my goodness there is SO MUCH MORE that I never considered! The cost to my homelife with family being one of the biggest. The emotional heartbreak and worry. The disapointment with kitten buyers who promise to keep in touch and never do. Don't they realise how special these babies are to us? I have even had a kitten buyer take me to court because it wasn't quite "show quality" in their opinion. I had costs awarded to them AGAINST ME and the cat still went on to win Kitten of the Year! To see that kitten at every show, know I couldn't go near it, see it have ANOTHER breeder's business cards all over his cage was the greatest hurt I have ever suffered. Those people have 3 of my cats and I will never ever get updates and I love each and every one of them.

So yes aspiring breeders... COUNT THE COST! Breeding is not a fun hobby at all! However it is a passion... and once that passion is in your blood it is very hard to walk away from it despite the seemingly insane costs. I often wonder where this journey will take me, and will I look back in my dotage and think it was worth it all. I am a fairly rational and logical person normally. I should walk away, but I can't - there is something, somewhere that I just adore about breeding my chosen cats. <BIG SIGH>

#30 Pam

Pam

• Members1
  • 4,625 posts
  • Interests:my interest are my Ragdoll cats and my children.and all their activities.and pottering in my garden and growing vegies.

Posted 01 November 2008 - 08:06 PM

I am only a small breeder but can totally relate to Vicki's experiences. Breeding cats is totally life consuming. It is hard enough when things are going well without having extra problems thrown in. Especially health problems like Vicki has been having. You are amazing the way you just keep on going.Please all you have to do is give me a call and I am more than happy to come and give you a hand.

Copyright © 2014 Cat World. All Rights Reserved.

Home     Contact Us    Privacy Policy     Disclaimer     Site Map