For All You "wanna Be" Breeders Out There

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#31 Anne ( Shakandah Birmans )

Anne ( Shakandah Birmans )

Foundation Member

• Members1
  • 8,308 posts
  • Interests:My human grown family, hubby Glenn and kids Rebecca 28, Son In Law Grant 27 , Ben 26, Jono 24 and Luke 18. We also have two PRECIOUS baby granddaughters Emma 4 years and her baby sister Charli 3

Posted 01 November 2008 - 08:10 PM

Vicki that could not of been explained better about what we have to go through to bring beautiful babies into the lives of others to enjoy as we do.
I am so sorry you are having such a hard time lately and you know if I lived closer I sure would offer to help as best I can .
Hugs to you and I hope it all pays of for you
Glad to hear Blackberry is ok to PHEW I would of been so scared and so stressed. Just gave my three their dose of calcium sandoz, just can't afford to miss it.
Thinking of you
Love Anne

#32 Guest_Winscar_*

Guest_Winscar_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 November 2008 - 08:17 PM

QUOTE (kitkat_105 @ Nov 1 2008, 04:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think some people truly are delusional when it comes to breeding. I guess, as easy as it is for them to get their breeding cats it will be just as easy for them to get rid of them when things go pear shaped. If you get my drift. sad.gif

My point exactly. Happy to be the maverick.

QUOTE (Kyra @ Nov 1 2008, 07:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The disapointment with kitten buyers who promise to keep in touch and never do. Don't they realise how special these babies are to us? I have even had a kitten buyer take me to court because it wasn't quite "show quality" in their opinion. I had costs awarded to them AGAINST ME and the cat still went on to win Kitten of the Year! To see that kitten at every show, know I couldn't go near it, see it have ANOTHER breeder's business cards all over his cage was the greatest hurt I have ever suffered. Those people have 3 of my cats and I will never ever get updates and I love each and every one of them.

But Karma will get them in the end.
Cant imagine how hurtful it is but maybe some bittersweet in knowing that its you and those that are in the know know it is you.

I have had 3 Birman boys bless my life over the last 18 years. All from different breeders none who are on CW but I love and thank you all to death. My boys are my life. My most treasured possessions.

I am happy about this thread.

#33 Cuddleton

Cuddleton

*BSh Lover*

• Members1
  • 10,693 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 08:32 PM

I sometimes wonder if someone had told me just how much poop all my adult cats and all their kittens could produce in one day and just how bad a stinky stud cat can really smell if I would have started breeding at all. You have to deal with all the poop, pee and all the hairball vomit every cat produces every single day 365 days a year for every year of your cats lives. It isnt just while it is new and fun, it isnt just while you have cute kittens, it is forever. It sounds silly but it kind of sums up the investment you make and the responsibilty you take on when you start breeding cats.

Something else I hate to think about but really gets me down at times is that I have a lot of cats. Chances are none of them will out live me. I am going to have to say goodbye to them one by one. I cant even think about that without getting tears in my eyes. Anyone who has had to let a pet go will know that pain. Imagine feeling it over and over. I am sorry if that is depressing but it is part of the deal. sad.gif

Pamela

#34 Paulsragdoll

Paulsragdoll

..:Cat Mad:..

• Members1
  • 4,553 posts
  • Interests:Besides my Ragdolls, Gardening, music, quality family time, nice food

Posted 01 November 2008 - 08:38 PM

I so appreciate what all of you great breeders do to bring us pet lovers our lovely furries,

I am happy to just lap up all of the pleasures of being a cat owner,

Or should I better say, the pleasures of being "owned by" a furrbaby or two,

Cheers,Paul

#35 Inca

Inca

Quirky Animal Hugger

• 12,493 posts
  • Interests:chillin' with birmans, crazy with coonies and spending time with a beagle and two goofy labradors

Posted 01 November 2008 - 09:09 PM

glad that Blackberry is doing okay now Vicky and healing hugs to you that you are soon on the mend also.

The point of your thread was very well thought out - telling it like it is ...no bed of roses ........

and Kyra?? Hugs to you also

#36 Guest_Winscar_*

Guest_Winscar_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 November 2008 - 09:17 PM

QUOTE (Cuddleton @ Nov 1 2008, 09:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Something else I hate to think about but really gets me down at times is that I have a lot of cats. Chances are none of them will out live me. I am going to have to say goodbye to them one by one. I cant even think about that without getting tears in my eyes. Anyone who has had to let a pet go will know that pain. Imagine feeling it over and over. I am sorry if that is depressing but it is part of the deal. sad.gif

Pamela

Pamela it is hard. I didnt get my first Birm till into my 30's and have just lost him at 55. Devasting but I knew I had tooo much love so another was on the cards.

Not a kitten as I too am ageing but an older furball is the way I go.

They do have 9 lives though not to go on forever only in their lives. They will live happy and wondeful lives and when their time is up you can smile and look back at all those wonderful memories you shared.

I had to put my Oscar to sleep in Feb after 17+ years together and it all happened in 48 hours. I was shell shocked my beautiful boy but I took those 48 hours to observe, love and cherish as my vet said I should and knew when it was time I could do it albeit doing it alone.
Having Oscar pts wasnt the hard part, the hard part was him and Winston having a nose kiss and me carrying him in his petpak up to the car knowing I would bring the petpack home empty.

But if it wasnt for my lovely breeder 17 years of my life would have been nothing.

Dont be sad be glad because BSH are a fav of mine since working in a cattery and your little bubs are cuties.

#37 mustang

mustang

....:Cat Addict:....

• Members1
  • 5,293 posts
  • Interests:Reading,walking,Cats.

Posted 02 November 2008 - 12:59 AM

I also am only a small breeder with few breeding girls but i can so relate to what Vicki and others have written.Thankyou to you Vicki for sharing your week.I sincerely hope that anybody wishing to start breeding visits here first before making rash descions breeding is incredibly hard work and is not all roses and light.

#38 CruisaGal

CruisaGal

.:Advanced Member:.

• Members2
  • 861 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 01:15 AM

Its good to read all the CW breeders experiences, Has opened my eyes a lot
I knew it would never be all tea and roses but its always helpful to learn more about breeding.

I still have a long way to go till I can even come close to any of the longtime breeders in here, but I will be learning new things all the way!

Thank you for posting this, Im happy to hear blackberry is on the mend and i hope your feeling much better yourself very soon.

#39 ashlea

ashlea

.:Super Member:.

• Members1
  • 2,080 posts
  • Interests:Cats, cats, Cat Shows, cats

Posted 02 November 2008 - 09:39 AM

notworthy.gif notworthy.gif bearhug.sml bearhug.sml I have learnt a lot since joining CW. Breeding is not something I could do. You guys are just amazing.

#40 isabeau

isabeau

.:Senior Member:.

• Members2
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 10:24 AM

Oh How true !! When we make the choice to breed and the obsession takes over normal life goes out the window. It doen't matter if WE are sick or are just plain exhausted the cats NEED us and we have to keep going .Not to mention the cost!!It doesn't matter if we have a huge amount of bills the cats always have to be fed -so they come first.
It does sound like there are more down sides than ups but when things are good the rewards outshine the dark days.

AND I would not have it any other way!!

Carolyn
Calian Cattery

#41 cbdgal

cbdgal

..:Member:..

• Members2
  • 135 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 11:00 AM

What a great breeder you are and it was an interesting read. I certainly would never ever contemplate becoming a breeder and I have total admiration for all you wonderful breeders out there. Its certainly an eye opener reading one incident let alone the very many that you most obviously have gone through. Big kudos to you. If we didn't have you professionals in the business I certainly wouldn't have my darling Zara (thanks Anne) 1luvu.gif

Tan

#42 jo-kitty

jo-kitty

• Members1
  • 2,128 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 06:56 PM

Thanks for posting that. I have just spent the day at my breeders house helping her feed and toilet 2 seperate litters one lot of 3 who's mum was clueless about them and refuses to feed clean or stay with them. The other lot of 3 who are strong healthy kittens with a doting mum but for some reason they just will not feed from her although happily accept the bottle. The breeder is absolutely exhausted (hence I went round to give her a rest) She also has other litters plus all her other cats to see to. As a new prospective breeder this is making sure my eyes are wide open and I'm getting some great experience too. Its important that I dont just see the fun parts of playing with the cute kittens.

Thankyou for sharing Satchmo, hopefully it jolts a few minds.

#43 sher

sher

• Members2
  • 1,896 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 07:23 PM

I know i couldnt do it but i take my hat off to those of you who do.

#44 miamber2002

miamber2002

.:Senior Member:.

• Members1
  • 1,209 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 07:32 AM

Just been through the much the same thing with a litter, had to start tube feeding at 10 days, and the little sods didn't want to know, screaming, struggling and biting at the tube. I now have one 5 week old bottle fed kitten left, we lost one after the other, it is very sad. I have to say though Vicki, its dedicated breeders who go to lengths like this..........what do you think a BYB would do?
Miamber

#45 Furkidz

Furkidz

Crazy Cat Lady for sure!

• Members1
  • 7,031 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 08:30 AM

Some really valid points made in this thread!

BUT I think you have missed some things too......
On top of what Vicki and others have said they do in a week, there is also MOUNTAINS of litter trays to clean, food to buy and prepare, washing to be done, medication to administer, shows to prepare for and attend, catteries to clean....

Oh, and many breeders also have human families to look after and full time employment! (The money required doesn't grow on trees!)

Copyright © 2014 Cat World. All Rights Reserved.

Home     Contact Us    Privacy Policy     Disclaimer     Site Map