Secondary Poisoning in Cats




secondary poisoning in cats

Secondary poisoning occurs when a cat eats an animal which has itself ingested a poison. The most common form of secondary poisoning in cats is when they eat a rat or mouse which has eaten rodenticide. Secondary poisoning can also occur when cats consume prey such as rabbits who have been poisoned with 1080 (sodium fluoroacetate).

What are the symptoms of secondary poisoning in cats?




Symptoms may vary depending on the type of poison the affected prey has consumed.

Rodenticide inhibits the coagulation by depleting the body of vitamin K which is required for the formation of certain clotting factors. Once the clotting factors are no longer available, internal bleeding results. The poison has no effect on clotting factors already in the blood, so there is usually a lag of 2-3 days before onset of symptoms.

  • Bleeding from the mouth, anus, nose and gums.
  • Blood in vomit, feces and urine.
  • Pale gums.
  • Bruising under the skin.
  • Lethargy.

1080 is a poison used in Australia and New Zealand to kill a number of animals including wild dogs, foxes and rabbits. There is very little information on 1080 toxicity in cats. Cats can be exposed either via a poisoned animal or by eating bait laced with 1080 (primary poisoning) and the poison works by inhibiting energy production in the cells. Dogs are more commonly affected than cats, probably due to the poison being used in remote locations where household cats are unlikely to roam. Symptoms for dogs are described as the following:

  • Tremors.
  • Frenzied behaviour.
  • Vomiting.
  • Drooling.
  • Abdominal pain.
  • Seizures.
  • Uncontrolled urinating and defecating.
  • Seizures.
  • Hyperexcitability.
  • Coma.

Lead poisoning can occur if your cat consumes an animal which has been shot using lead pellets, either via hunting or being fed certain ‘pet meats’ which contain ground up wild caught meat such as kangaroo or rabbit. 

Rodenticide and 1080 aren’t the only causes of secondary poisoning in cats but they are among the most common. While I’ve not heard of any cases, theoretically a cat could become poisoned with lead if it consumed a wild animal that had been shot with a lead pellet.

What is the treatment for secondary poisoning?

This depends on the poison. There is no antidote for rodenticide or 1080, treatment is aimed at preventing further absorption.

The first priority is to induce vomiting and/or pump the stomach.

Activated charcoal will be administered to prevent further absorption of the toxin.

For cats who are suffering from rodenticide poisoning, the following treatments may be necessary.

  • Vitamin K injections which help with blood clotting.
  • In severe cases, a blood transfusion may be required.
  • Once your cat is discharged from hospital, he will be sent home with oral vitamin K tablets.

For cats who have ingested 1080, symptomatic and supportive care will be necessary. This may include:




  • Administration of general anesthetic followed by stomach lavage and/or activated charcoal.
  • Anti-seizure medication.
  • Fluid therapy to correct metabolite abnormalities.

The earlier your cat is seen by a veterinarian the better the outcome.

Avoiding secondary poisoning:

Don’t allow cats to roam outside if you do want them to have access to fresh air, a cat enclosure is the safest option. This, of course, won’t stop rodents coming into the enclosure, but it should reduce the number of rodents your cat has access to.

Be extremely diligent if you are bating rodents. Speak to a pest controller for safer options such as traps.

1080 doesn’t seem to be as big an issue as rodenticide as it tends to be used in areas of bushland and away from towns. If you are worried, contact your local council to find out if it is used in your area. When it is used around here (Royal National Park in Sydney), warning signs are put up.

I have looked for information on secondary poisoning occurring in cats who eat poisoned bugs (in particular cockroaches). While there appears to be no information out there, I would certainly use caution when using insect sprays around the house and remove any dead or dying cockroaches as soon as you see them to avoid your cat eating one which has been exposed to insecticide.

Rodenticide poisoning is by far the most common cause of secondary poisoning in cats, however, any poison consumed by a prey can potentially cause secondary poisoning in cats.

Related content:

Poisoning in cats




0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply