Parasitic worms are an extremely common parasite in cats. There are several types of worm that commonly affect cats. The most common of which include:
Kittens become infected with hookworms and roundworms via their mother in-utero or when they are young kittens. Tapeworms are spread via fleas.
Worms are more than a nuisance, they can have severe health problems in cats and especially young kittens. Not only that, but they may also infect humans. Symptoms of worms in cats may include:
- Loss of appetite
- Pot bellied appearance
- Vomiting (you may notice worms in the vomit)
- Dull coat
- Stunted growth (in kittens)
Worm kittens as follows:
- Every 2 weeks from 2 weeks of age until 12 weeks of age.
- Every month from 12 weeks of age until 6 months.
- Every three months from 6 months.
What worming medication is best for my cat?
There are many excellent worming products on the market for kittens and cats. These include:
- Worming paste
- Spot on worming treatments
- Worming tablets
Your veterinarian is the best person to speak to in regards to what’s the best worming treatment for your cat.