In this article, we look at ways to remove cat and dog hair from carpets, furniture, and clothing.
Regular grooming of your pet can go a long way to helping reduce the amount of pet hair in the home. Both cats and dogs can benefit from a daily brush.
Ideally, polished floorboards or tiles are a more suitable flooring solution for pet owners, although this is not always possible.
Keeping your pet(s) confined to just one or two rooms of the house will help reduce the spread of pet hair (although won’t eliminate it altogether).
Carpet and rugs
Pet hair can become firmly embedded between the fibers in carpets, making it frustrating to properly remove. There are many newer vacuums on the market which are specifically designed for pet owners. If you are in the market for a new vacuum cleaner, do look around for these models or speak to your retailer about which brand will best meet your needs.
- Lint hair removers can be used on small areas such as rugs.
- For carpets and larger areas, a good quality vacuum with a pet hair attachment is the best solution.
- Rubber brooms are also an effective method of removing pet hair embedded in the carpet.
- Invest in a pet hair mitt. This is placed on the hand and can be used to remove pet hair from furniture, curtains, and clothing.
- Lint brushes can also be used safely on furniture.
- Rubber gloves are another good method of picking up pet hair from furniture. Place on hands, and rub the furniture with your gloves, this will pick up the fur. This method is more effective if the rubber gloves are slightly dampened beforehand.
- Take a wide roll of sticky tape or masking tape, unwind a strip, turn it back on itself and stick down so that the sticky side is facing outwards. Roll this on clothing to remove hair. Alternatively, cut off a strip, wrap around the hand, sticky side facing upwards and stick down.
- Lint rollers are a cheap and effective method of removing pet hair from clothing.
- Place clothing in the tumble dryer for 10 minutes.
- When washing clothes, use a fabric softener, this will help to loosen stuck on fur.
- Hang up clothing when not in use.